Smart Mailbox with attachment issue

Reaction score
I've discovered that sent emails with attachments don't show the paperclip in the sent list. Possibly a bug, it seems.

I've actually got 2 accounts I use in Mail: my main work email account (POP3) and my gmail account (IMAP). The odd thing is that the paperclip attachments DO show up in emails sent from my gmail account, but I hardly ever use that, so that doesn't help me much.

Tonight I had a one-to-one training session on Mac Mail, and I asked my tutor about this. He suggested a promising sounding workaround: set up a Smart Mailbox to collect all emails sent by my main email account that contained an attachment.

So I did just that. But it doesn't work! It isn't picking up any of the emails I've sent from that account with attachments! Why not?

C

chas_m

Without seeing exactly what criteria you used to construct the smart mailbox, how could we possibly answer that?

Right-click on your smart mailbox, select "edit" and then post a screenshot of what you've set up (obscuring any personal information you don't want to share; see example below). Then we can tell you if you've made some kind of mistake or if you've found a bug.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

I created it with the following criteria:

- Contains attachments plus
- From my main email address plus
- Any recipient does not contain gmail address.

I had to add the last criterion because without it, it displays all the messages I have forwarded to my gmail account with attachments (and showing the paperclip, weirdly - it doesn't show up in any others). If I tell it to ignore messages to my gmail account, it is empty, even though I send several messages a day to other people with attachments.

It's almost as if it uses the paperclip as the identifier of an attachment: if there is no paperclip, it doesn't seem to recognise that there is an attachment. The paperclip only shows up in messages sent to my gmail account. Even more weirdly, without this third criterion it is obviously checking my entire gmail account and retrieving messages sent from my main to my gmail account dating back several years, sent from my PC!

Screen Shot 2012-03-09 at 07.21.52.png

C

chas_m

Thanks a lot, that was INCREDIBLY helpful.

So here's where I think you're going wrong:

1. First rule should be "From"->"Is Equal to"->(your email address)
2. Second rule should be "Message is in Mailbox" -> "Sent" (and yes you should keep the "include messages from Sent" ticked)
3. THEN "contains attachments"

I set mine up that way and got exactly what you are looking for -- messages from me that contain attachments.

Reaction score
Mail atachment paperclip

I used the below

1 - Create a rule in the Mail Preferences pane
2 - Call it "Get My Paperclip Icons Back!"
3 - Set conditions as below :
A - If ALL of the following conditions are met :
B - From Ends With [Your email address here]
C - Any Attachment Name Contain "." [with the quotations around the dot]
Perform the following actions :
D - Mark as Read [which really makes no impact on how its viewed]

Click Ok. When message "Do you want to apply your rules to messages in selected mailboxes?" I chose "Dont Apply". [But you can click "Apply" if you are in the "Sent Folder"

Then go to your sent folder, Select your messages [recent/all], and right click "Apply Rules" or from the menu Message -> Apply Rules.

Voilla! Paperclip icons are back. Plus "Mark as Read" did no harm to your already colored/flagged sent emails. Cheers John UK

OP
K
Reaction score
Guys, many thanks for your answers.

Chas_m - sorry to be so long trying this one out. I couldn't find an option "Message is in Mailbox" so that didn't work.

But... Cartog: that's amazing! Even Apple telephone support didn't know that. Thanks so much! (How on earth did you find that out? And why do you have to mark as read? <puzzled>)

Reaction score
Mail atachment paperclip

Thanks for thanks but must not take the full credit. I found the solution set up nicely by leroydouglas PacificNW after he found it on Apple discussion solution by oakmontoz in 'shorthand at

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3308790?start=0&tstart=0

But hey this is what the community is to spread the word. Pity Apple can't build in the solution...((

Have a nice day - we are all bands and ceremonies for Queenies 60th! And lets not forget the 'torch' has landed and is on its trip around UK.

John

C

chas_m

Thanks for posting the solution. Very helpful. Be sure to report it to Apple as a bug (as I'm sure you already have).

Reaction score
Similar problem in Yosemite

I have a similar problem in Yosemite mail. Using a smart mailbox to sift many emails with attachments, but mailbox does not recognize attachments even though in the list window they are clearly marked with paperclip.

Tried the rule to 'mark as read' but even that rule does not act on the message with attachment — as if it too does not see that there is one.

So my smart mailboxes are unreliable.

Is there any other potential solution? I have all the usual settings correct, including 'automatically download', 'keep for offline viewing', etc.

This seems to be a simple process that is frustrating because it doesn't work.

- Jason

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.