How to move files without dragging and dropping?

Reaction score
I have tried to move files with dragging and dropping, but there are two problems with this:

1. If the destination folder is out of view, ie, requires scrolling down, it is not possible to move the file at all! What am I doing wrong?

2. Dragging and dropping can result in moving the file to the wrong folder, then how do I know where my file went?

I would like to be able to move files without dragging and dropping. How do I do this on OSX?

Thanks!

Reaction score
If you really want to, there's Terminal. Open Terminal and type 'man mv' without the quotes.
Also check out man cp for copying.

C

chas_m

1. Right click on the file or folder you want to copy. Select "copy."

2. Navigate to the destination. Right click and select "paste."

3. Trash the "original."

There are several other ways, but that's a sure-fire one.

Reaction score
If you hold the dragged file over a target directory, the directory will open and holding the dragged file above or below a column of directories will make them scroll. However, I simply drag the file to the desktop, navigate to the destination folder and then drag the file to its new home. Not elegant but safer than dragging direct.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)

3. Trash the "original."

Chas_m suggests the most sensible approach.

Alternatively open two finder windows - one with the source folder open, one with the destination folder open. Click drag drop from one to the other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" i5 MBP (Late 2011)
Chas_m suggests the most sensible approach.

Alternatively open two finder windows - one with the source folder open, one with the destination folder open. Click drag drop from one to the other.

This is what I do.

When you have the finder selected, Command + N will open a new finder window. ;)

OP
F
Reaction score

3. Trash the "original."

My issue with this approach is that it physically has to copy the data to another part of the hard disk. Doing this on a 700 meg file for example takes a non-trivial amount of time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Then substitute 'cut' for 'copy' in step 1

And skip step 3!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Lol, there is no cut option...thus my question!

Thanks!

If you hold the CMD key while dragging and dropping you can. Or, if you're in Snow Leopard/Lion, just CMD + C (copy) and then CMD + Alt + V (Move).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lol, there is no cut option...thus my question!

Thanks!

You never mention you were missing the cut option. Nor did you mention your OSX version.

I wrongly assumed it was Lion where Cut/Copy/Paste are available on the menu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
You never mention you were missing the cut option. Nor did you mention your OSX version.

I wrongly assumed it was Lion where Cut/Copy/Paste are available on the menu

I see "cut" under the "edit" menu - but mine is grayed out???? What am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
I did select a file to cut. Using finder I browse to a file in one of my folders, highlight the file by clicking once and then go to the Edit menu at the top of the screen. The "cut" menu item is grayed out.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Cut/Paste of files/folders is a Lion thing.
Cut and Paste Files & Folders in Mac OS X Lion
Snow Leopard and earlier - you cannot do anything but cmd-drag to move a file unless you bought a third party software like total finder or path finder. (Or use command line)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am using Lion. Still - the option to "cut" is grayed out in the edit menu even after I have selected a file in finder to move. ????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apologies, I've had TotalFinder for so long perhaps I'm forgetting which features are built into OSX and which are from Total Finder (I can highly recommend it btw).

The drag and drop solutions, as posted before will work as per your original question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But what I don't understand is that I am given the option to "cut" in the edit menu but it is grayed out so I can't use it. I would like to have that option. Wish I could sort out why it is grayed out. This - and the lack of a true "delete" key, are annoying lapses in this software/hardware to say the least.

I'll check out total finder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.