How can I get more VRAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch macbook(black) 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz
I have an early 2008 Macbook(black) and it comes with a base 144mb VRAM. I purchased a game from the app store that clearly states I need 256mb of VRAM. After you run out of jokes to make at my foolishness would anyone have any idea how I could gain more VRAM so my game can run more smoothly. I have an external hard drive but I have no idea if putting the game on that would do anything to make it run more smoothly or not. I suppose that's why I'm asking for help. Any ideas would help. Thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is no way to increase the VRAM on your machine. The 2008 MacBook series both black and white use the Intel GMA X3100 integrated GPU which "borrows" memory from the system. The max amount it will borrow is fixed.

If you can't play the game, ask for a refund. Call Apple customer support.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch macbook(black) 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz
Yeah thats what I have been reading on the internet but I thought i'd ask anyways to see if anyone had any ideas. Thanks for getting back to me. I'll consider asking for the refund but as the game clearly states I need 256mb of VRAM I feel taking the blow is a justifiable punishment for my ignorance. Thanks again

C

chas_m

I'm in the same boat as you, pal. I love my BlackBook to pieces but the VRAM is its achilles heel. Luckily I'm not much of a gamer but there are a few titles that are just out of my reach.

The good news is that the Intel 3000 chipset IS adequate for that game, most likely, unless it specifically rules that out, and the Intel 3000 is now the minimum chipset on all the entry-level Macs, and let's face it ... we're both about due for a new(er) one ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
The one bummer about shared ram GPU is that Apple seems to restrict it more then other manufacturers as the max for the X3100 (the one in the black 2008 macbook) is 384m shared.... I'm pretty sure the same is also true for machines running the 9400m, 320m and the HD 3000 (base memory may be different, but the cap is lower then with other manufacturers)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Same here as chas_m. I have a white 2008 MacBook, but like him I'm not a gamer except maybe a game or two of Solitaire.

I wanted to mention that even the entry level Intel HD 3000 which is found in the 2011 MBA, Mini, and 13" MBP is not very good at gaming. Although it does borrow up to 384 MB in a 4 GB system and 512 MB in an 8 GB system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
This is true that the air and the 13 mbp isn't the best at gaming except for casual gaming (lets face it, that's not what it was made for). I know I've been able to play the games I want on it (KoAR, SWTOR (not pvp or raiding), skyrim, etc. - this is on my 2010 air with the 320m, I haven't tried on the 2011 yet) but I wouldn't call it a gaming power house, nor a device I'd want to bring to a lan party :).

What becomes more of a bummer is the artificial caps that are put in place (like the shared ram or lower clock speed).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.