Question about Adobe Flash?

Reaction score
I'm on Mac OS version 10.5.8 and unfortunately I cannot update my Adobe Flash Player. I went onto the site and attempted to download the latest version for 10.5.8 and I'm devastated because it says it does not support PPC devices.

What can I do? Many sites that I go on that runs flash, such as YouTube, are extremely slow and tend to crash my browser a lot.

If anyone can help, that'd be much appreciated.

Thanks.

C

chas_m

The main thing you can do is start saving up for a new(er) Intel-based Mac. I don't mean to be rude, but by any measure that's a pretty old computer you've got there, this is what happens when time marches on (particularly in the world of technology and the internet). It's not you, it's not Apple; it's Adobe that's the problem here.

Short term, however, there are some things you can do.

1. As you already know, you should update to the latest version of Flash that you CAN update to.

I believe this is the correct link for the final PowerPC release of Flash: http://dl2.macupdate.com/flashplayer10_1r102_64_ub_mac.dmg

2. For YouTube and Vimeo and most other video sites, you can opt to set the viewer for HTML5 rather than Flash. If you are running Safari 5 (and you should be able to on 10.5.8), you can download extensions that will do this for you automatically. This will almost instantly improve your YouTube experience.

For flash-based game sites, there's not a lot you can do if they don't offer an HTML5 alternative. See my opening sentence. Hopefully that last version of Flash will help make the sites more workable, but the long-term solution is: time to buy a new(er) machine, preferably one that can at least run Lion (or you'll be facing this dilemma again in a couple of years).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.