Kingston Data Traveler Ultimate 3.0 with MacOS?

Reaction score
Hello.

I own a MacBook (late 2009, runs Snow Leopard).

I received a Kingston Data Traveler Ultimate 3.0 32gb as a gift.

In the Kingston site it says that compatible OS's are Windows 7, Vista, XP.

My question is, will my MacBook (or any Mac) recognize it?
Shall I just need to format the drive for use with both Mac and Windows OS's?

I don't want to unpack it until I'm sure that it works with a Mac or not.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It's backwardly compatible to USB 2. It'll work fine with OSX.

If it comes pre-formatted with something other than FAT32 you may need to re-format. But that's easy done.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer.
My first thought was that any flash drive should work with MacOs (and as for the Kingston DT U 3, at least as a usb 2).
I sent an e-mail to Kingston and their reply was:
"Regarding your request, please note that the USB-Stick DTU30G2/xxx is not compatible to the Mac OS.".
So I'm still confused...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Reviews say otherwise. I'd suggest what they mean by not compatible is that it'll be formatted with NTFS, it's USB3 and they'll no doubt have thrown some software for Windows on there too.

I've never come across a USB storage device that couldn't be used on Mac.

But it's your choice.

OP
S
Reaction score
well it works with MacOs...
of course as a usb 2.0, with really great read/write speed.
and it was preformatted as FAT32.
so I don't understand the strict advice from Kingston that it's not compatible with Mac, they could just mention the backwards compatibility.
thank you for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad it's working for you.

I think you've discovered something that I've found with a number of companies (I'm looking mainly at you Samsung grrrrr). Some have a very different definition of 'compatible'.

You were asking if the USB stick was 'compatible' i.e. would work with your Mac.
They read that as 'is Mac listed on or system?" and "if the customer has questions will we support them?" - the answer being No.

Unfortunately it's nearly impossible tell which companies support teams have genuine knowledge in the products and an interest in customer satisfaction ...... and those that don't.

I'll add Kingston to the latter list :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately it's nearly impossible tell which companies support teams have genuine knowledge in the products and an interest in customer satisfaction ...... and those that don't.

The same can be said for some Internet Service Providers at least here in the US. Most of the time if you tell a tech support person working the phones for your provider that you're using a Mac, they'll begin to start making excuses and come up compatibility statements.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.