I just bought an open box Macbook Pro, do I need to make a backup?

Reaction score
So I just bought a Macbook pro with Lion. I was told it didn't come with a backup disk or something of that nature. I was told to purchase an 8gb thumb drive to make a backup in case something goes wrong. Does anyone know what this means and how to do it, step-by-step in complete idiot terms? I am brand new to Macs and I am having a hard time adjusting so any help and patience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OS X Lion is the first operating system from Apple that is not shipped on a disk. It's either pre-loaded (new Macs) or can be downloaded ($29.99) from the Mac App store. However, Apple also sells a flash drive with Lion loaded on it for $69 from the Mac App store.

Since you purchased a new Mac, Lion is pre-loaded. Your Mac includes an application called "Time Machine" which will backup everything to an external hard drive. What do you want to do? If you want an installable backup of Lion then you need to purchase the flash drive from Apple. If you just want to backup your system, you can use Time Machine but you'll need an external hard drive that's a least the same size as your internal hard drive.

OP
G
Reaction score
Ok great. Thanks! I just wanted to have basically a restore, in case my hard drive goes bad or something bad happens and I cant get to the internet. Of course Apple has found a way to make more money. Oh well, thanks you for the help.

While I have your attention: how do you put something on your desktop in Lion? I somehow got a screenshot on there but nothing else will stay on there. Whenever I try to drag something, it shows a little cloud but nothing stays on there.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you are dragging from the Dock to the Desktop, OSX has been that way since the beginning. Is that what you are doing? You can't drag apps from the dock. You never could.

OP
G
Reaction score
Yes, I guess I am taking apps. I figured it out though. I went to the finder and dragged things into the area labeled desktop. It worked and in a strange way, you helped. Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.