Duplicate Mail Help - Newbie Question

Reaction score
Hey all -

Hope all is well. I just purchased my first Apple computer ever, and so far love it. It is the 21.5 inch iMac, with the OS lion (hope I said it right). Any way I am having problems with my mail account. I set it up to receive gmail, however when I open the Mail Application, the mail is being shown in two different places. The mailbox is broken down into two partitiions, mailboxes and Gmail. Every email I receive mail it goes into both inboxes on both partitions. However every time I delete emails from the gmail part, and go back into the gmail part of it, it keeps populating with the emails I just deleted. I am at a loss on what to do, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Hwilensky

OP
H
Reaction score
I think I figured it out, However it is telling me that it is having trouble verifying the POP account. Any other help out there?

C

chas_m

I think nwhear's advice was incorrect. IMAP is the best (and possibly only) option for GMail, particularly if you have mobile devices that you also want to check email from.

Your Mail program is showing you that you have local copies of the email, but it is also showing you what's on the server (the "gmail" part). Simply "hide" the gmail part by clicking the word "hide" (which only appears when you hover the mouse near the word "gmail" in that left-hand column. Don't concern yourself with it, as it's just a mirror of the server (since what's stored locally and what's on the server can sometimes differ slightly) and just work with the "mailboxes" part.

Reaction score
Hi Chas_m is correct as usual ;-)

IMAP is the way to go if you have multiple mobile devices but Gmail does support POP as I have it on my Windows descktop and have used it over a nuber of years.

regards

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks all. I actually found the directions on googles website on how to make the change to POP, executed it and it seems to be working fine. I get both emails on my phone and on my mac. Thanks for the all the responses.

Hwilensky

Reaction score
Hi glad you sorted it with POP

I use POP although my MBA is set for IMAP

best wishes

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.