• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Creating movies with iMovie

Reaction score
Okay, I need help...

Recently purchased a new MacBook Pro. (I am a former PC user). Am finding the Mac somewhat confusing. In any event, here's my problem.

I videoed a play production I am directing. I created a video using iMovie. It plays well on the Mac and through iMovie. I want to make a DVD of the movie to share with the cast by putting it on a DVD. I went up to SHARE....saw iDVD. Clicked it on....it began to search for iDVD. Didn't find it. It seems that my new Mac doesn't have iDVD on it. I called Apple support, and they told me iDVD is not installed on the new MacBooks.

So how then do I put the movie I made on to a DVD for others to view?
Is there anyway I can do that?
Do I need to buy another software program in order to do that?

Does that mean iMovie can't be used to create a DVD of the movies I make?

This is frustrating. I have a program that was factory installed but can't be used effectively.

Can anyone give me advice? I am really a neophyte when it comes to this.

It was suggested by others that I seek out an old version of iLife that would contain iDVD. Went to Amazon, but there is no listing of what is contained on iLife that have for purchase.

Please help...

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Okay, I need help...

Recently purchased a new MacBook Pro. (I am a former PC user). Am finding the Mac somewhat confusing. In any event, here's my problem.

I videoed a play production I am directing. I created a video using iMovie. It plays well on the Mac and through iMovie. I want to make a DVD of the movie to share with the cast by putting it on a DVD. I went up to SHARE....saw iDVD. Clicked it on....it began to search for iDVD. Didn't find it. It seems that my new Mac doesn't have iDVD on it. I called Apple support, and they told me iDVD is not installed on the new MacBooks.

So how then do I put the movie I made on to a DVD for others to view?
Is there anyway I can do that?
Do I need to buy another software program in order to do that?

Does that mean iMovie can't be used to create a DVD of the movies I make?

This is frustrating. I have a program that was factory installed but can't be used effectively.

Can anyone give me advice? I am really a neophyte when it comes to this.

It was suggested by others that I seek out an old version of iLife that would contain iDVD. Went to Amazon, but there is no listing of what is contained on iLife that have for purchase.

Please help...

I know for a fact that iLife 08 has iDvd and am pretty certain that it is present in every version up till the latest where it was dropped. Having said that all you need to do is export as an MPEG4 and burn to DvD, doesn't have to be iDvD specifically unless you want to do menus and titles etc.

EDIT: Here is an Amazon listing for iLife 09, and if you read the description you will find iDvD near the bottom.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014X5XEK/?tag=macforums0e4-20

OP
S
Reaction score
iMovie use

Thank you, guys for your replies. I am really dumb when it comes to this, so please pardon my ignorance.

As I have stated, I created a movie using iMovie. I went to SHARE and tried to use iDVD, but iDVD is not on my MacBook, since my MacBook is the latest version.

The movie that I created was saved as a m4v format. So how do I get to put this on a DVD for it to play in any DVD player?

Do I need to purchase another program. It seems unfortunate that Apple installed a program (iMovie) and it can't be used to it's fullest effect.

Any ideas as to what my recourse is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You can use Burn app suggested by MightyGem above. It's free.

Export from iMovie in DV format ( this is a high quality format and will avoid unnecessary quality loss from re-compressing video).

Then use the Video tab in Burn and it will walk you through creating a DVD

OP
S
Reaction score
iMovie use

Once again, ty you all for your help. As a former PC user, I am finding the assistance of Mac users MUCH better. Yet, I am so slow at this stuff.

In any event,thank you, mrplow

I was unaware what you meant by EXPORTING it as DV. Didn't see DV when I clicked on EXPORT. All I saw was DV Stream. I hope that's it. I wasn't sure where to look, but I found it under EXPORT AS QUICK TIME.

I did save it using DV Stream and noticed it saved it as [my title].dv. So I guess I did something right.

Now my question is, do I really need to download another program. My system info says:

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-8A8:

Firmware Revision: HB14
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 1024 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: To show the available burn speeds, insert a disc and choose View > Refresh

Doesn't this mean I have a DVD burner?

As I mentioned, I am really a neophyte when it comes to this. I am trying to like the MacBook....

Hope some one replies...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
That's just telling you the capabilities of the optical drive, so yes, it will burn DVDs of all standards.

You'll still need the Burn software (or similar) to use these capabilities

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.