Just made the switch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.2 GHz quad core i7, 500 GB hd, AMD radeon HD 6750m. Black iPhone 4S.
Got my first Mac a few weeks ago and want to do a little research optimize my experience. A little bit about me. I have been doing graphic design for about 4 or 5 years now as a hobby not a job. I haven't gotten to start on anything on here because I don't have Photoshop for my Mac yet. (unlike the majority of PS users, I pay for it, and it ain't cheap. Probably won't be able to afford it for a month or so) I also want to get into doing some video editing. I was sold on getting a Mac after one of my bes friends showed me how he could edit some music from a jam session he had with his band. It was incredible. I think he was using Logic, but I'm not positive. He had 8 different files open at the same time, one for each instrument and 1 for each mic, each file was almost 4 hours long as they were recorded as one track and his iMac ran everything as smooth as you could imagine. He even showed me in his system monitor that the computer was only using 5% of its capability at the time. So here I am, ready to master this beast. Any and all tips, comments, suggestions or whatever are appreciated and welcome. I am a soft glob of clay, mold me.

Well, I just encountered my first issue. As I hit enter to start a new paragraph, my Enter key broke. It's just kind of sitting on there. That's a bummer, haha. Anyone know how to fix this?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.2 GHz quad core i7, 500 GB hd, AMD radeon HD 6750m. Black iPhone 4S.
Nevermind, just needed to push it down and it snapped right back in place. Go figure, haha. Another basic question, how do I look at my available HD space? Probably a really stupid question, but for the life of me I can figure it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
With Finder active, click on View a the top and theeeeeen...hmmm, I've forgotten. But it's one of the options on there, it will display your available space a the bottom of your finder window.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm away from my Macs right now, or I could give you an exact answer. :)

Anyway, welcome to the Forum, and congrats on the switch. I'd keep an eye on that return key, if it does it again, I'd be tempted to pay the Apple Store a visit, if it's not too far away.

Enjoy your stay!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
 > About This Mac > More Info > Storage (this is on Lion )

C

chas_m

Every Finder window has the available HD space printed at the bottom of the window, next to a count of how many items are in the window you are looking at.

Reaction score
Every Finder window has the available HD space printed at the bottom of the window, next to a count of how many items are in the window you are looking at.

Only if it is set in 'View' to show the 'Status Bar'.

Reaction score
Thanks for that! My iMac didn't have that set as default. Added it - and it worked a treat. Appreciate the tip!
FYI neither did my brand new i5 2.5 GHz 21.5" iMac, running 10.7.3.
A short trip to Finder > View > Show Status Bar (or  / ) fixed that. :)

C

chas_m

I stand corrected. Oh Apple -- why must you constantly move the furniture around?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.