Upgrade

Reaction score
My previous post seems to have disappeared; basically I want to know, once I have got used
to using the Macbook that I have been, is that is it upgradeable? It's currently running Leopard and is 10.5.6. (is that leopard?) and I would want to put Snow Leopard (is that 10.6.?) The machine is early 2009,

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My previous post seems to have disappeared; basically I want to know, once I have got used
to using the Macbook that I have been, is that is it upgradeable? It's currently running Leopard and is 10.5.6. (is that leopard?) and I would want to put Snow Leopard (is that 10.6.?) The machine is early 2009,

Yes, you could put Snow Leopard and/or Lion on it. You may want to consider upgrading the memory to 4GB if you haven't already.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The very first MacBook was an Intel Core Duo and Snow Leopard is the final Operating System for it. If it is a Core 2 Duo, and it probably is, suggest going straight to Lion. A USB thumb drive will set you back $69.00, compared to upgrading to Snow Leopard $29 and then Lion another $29 and for the extra ten bucks you have it on a boo tab le thumb drive.

As a suggestion back everything up to an external drive, boot from thumb drive and erase hard driver, format, and proceeded with a clan install and upgrade to OS X.7.3. Migration Assistant will opt things over from the external. Be aware Lion does not run Rosetta, so any PowerPC applications will not run.

OP
T
Reaction score
Upgrades

Hi, thanks for response, it is a Core 2 Duo and it would make sense to go straight to Lion, however you are going to find me a real durk, I don't know what you are referring to when you refer to: boo tab la thumb drive!! Is this a USB drive with Lion loaded? Please remember I am a newbe (switcher) to macs tho' reasonably okay with PCs/laptops! I have a problem in that the girl who gave me the Mac (early 2009) has,'t a clue to whereabouts of original discs, does that mean I am snookered with upgrades etc?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Harry got some extra spaces by accident

Bootable Thumb Drive (USB Flash Memory Drive) Apple sells it preloaded with Lion for $69 USD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes bootable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.