• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Graphics Card recommendation for editing HD content

Reaction score
Hi guys,

What's the minimum graphics card requirement for editing anything in the 720p/1080p content?

C

chas_m

Anything put out in the last few years should be adequate. For most Macs, it's not like you can do anything about the graphic card anyway, so it probably would have saved you time to just tell us what machine you have.

OP
D
Reaction score
Of course. Sorry about that chas_m.

It's a 2009 MacBook Pro 15", Intel Core 2 Duo with 8GB RAM and 256mb Geforce 8600GT. When I talked with the guys at the Mac Store, he had a feeling that my graphics card might be low, but I was wondering if I needed something like 512mb? If so, then I might have to look into upgrading. Different people told me different reasons, so I am somewhat confused to what it could be. The rep told me the newer Macs (with the i5 and i7) is a huge improvement and would handle anything..

C

chas_m

I would think that card would be entirely acceptable for HD video editing. A better card would of course be better but that should do you just fine.

You can't upgrade the card in the MBP anyway so it's just as well that it's a perfectly fine card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.