• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Creating VCDs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 5th Gen. iPhone 4S 32GB iMac 21" 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM ATI Radeon HD 4670
I would like to create and burn a VCD from an .avi file I have on the HD.

I didn't want to invest a lot of money for this supposedly simple project so I downloaded a freeware called"Burn".

To create the VCD it requested that I convert the file to mpeg which then increased the file size over the limit. I now cannot burn the file due to it's size. I tried to use Handbrake to change the file to mp4 to see if I could limit the size to 700MB but no joy.

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong or any alternative methods?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Burn it to a DVD not a CD.

C

chas_m

I'm not sure why anyone in the year 2012 would ever need a VCD at all, but whatever:

1. How long is the running time of the AVI file? VCDs, just like DVDs have a time limit (in the case of VCDs, that's 74 minutes, no exceptions). You cannot get around converting the file to MPEG-1, that is the format that VCDs *require.* Same deal with DVDs -- no matter what format the source file is, it HAS to be converted to MPEG-2 to be part of a "movie" DVD.

2. I think what chscag was trying to suggest is that you forget about VCDs altogether (and I agree!) and instead convert the file to MPEG-2/DVD format so you can use DVD-Rs. What he didn't clarify was that a VCD, by its nature, burns to a CD (thus the name Video CD).

OP
headhunter28
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 5th Gen. iPhone 4S 32GB iMac 21" 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM ATI Radeon HD 4670
Thanks chas_m,

The VCD was for someone's old DVD player that has trouble reading dvdr / rw. The explanation makes sense though and I knew it would be something essentially simple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The open source Burn app lets you burn VCDs, as long as the AVI will play in Quicktime player

Burn - Home

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The open source Burn app lets you burn VCDs, as long as the AVI will play in Quicktime player

That's what he was using to burn the VCD but ran out of space. The solution is as recommended by chas_m in the second part of his reply. Which is also what I recommend.

C

chas_m

Thanks chas_m,

The VCD was for someone's old DVD player that has trouble reading dvdr / rw. The explanation makes sense though and I knew it would be something essentially simple.

Yeah, so if you are stuck with VCDs, then you'll have to split up the source material to no more than 74 minutes per disc.

It's been my experience that DVD players that can't play home-burned DVDs also can't play home-burned anything else, but if you know that VCD will work -- I guess we finally found a use for VCD in the 21st century! :)

(might also want to look up SVCD -- even less time per disc, but better picture quality)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.