restart '03 ibook

Reaction score
My mom has an old ibook she hasn't used in years...actually since she got it. Now she wants to. Can we just begin, or is it obsolete. It has had no updates.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can you give us some more information about the iBook? You said it was purchased in 2003, but there were three models issued in 2003. Can you tell us which one it is?

A machine that has been dormant for years will likely need a new battery for one, and it's possible it may not start up at all. Have you tried?

And yes, an iBook from 2003 is outmoded. If your Mom wants to start computing again, I would suggest you buy her a new machine. Perhaps an entry level MacBook Pro or even the entry level iMac would be nice. She may like the iMac better with its larger and brighter screen.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply...she will always use it plugged-in so I don't think the battery will be an issue....? Do you know anything about the WOW computer aimed at senior citizen demographic?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the reply...she will always use it plugged-in so I don't think the battery will be an issue....? Do you know anything about the WOW computer aimed at senior citizen demographic?

What do you want to discuss...the old iBook or the WOW computer? Two different topics.;)

If you want more info on the WOW computer...try this:

WOW! Computer for Seniors - by firstSTREET
http://www.mywowcomputer.com/faqs.html
http://www.dtechnews.com/review-the-wow-computer.html

- Nick

C

chas_m

Anything that says it is "for Seniors" is usually sales talk for "junk we palm off by making the buttons bigger and the volume louder."

Especially with the name being WOW, I would expect nothing less than a .. um, lessee how do I put this ... portion of waste product. I especially love that they stole the design from the early Cinema Displays.

Might be right for some people, but none of the seniors I know would take one over an iPad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.