The Switcher Stereotype.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
What's the most common stereotype about Macs that YOU have heard from PC users, or even those considering the switch? Which one would you say grates on your nerves the most?

I personally am extremely tired of, "oh, Macs are only good for graphic design. Why? because people who know more than both you and I about computers say so."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook 12", ipod photo 20gig
i'm really sick of people going "its hard to operate" and "i'm too used to windows" or something along the lines of that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
no one makes stuff for mac's, also
my x wont work on a mac because it doesnt mention mac on the box

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
"It's not compatible with PCs"

I've yet to find a document type I can't use on the Mac.

T

TeckniX

everything for the mac is expensive...
Oh wait, freeware exists for mac? you're kidding, right? :dummy:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
oh there are no new games for mac.... (cough doom3 ? hmmm)
people say " macs suck" me- "why" .. them, they have no clue, especially when they have never touched a mac.. i hate that so much,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
wow.. ive never heard about any of those people.... well.. here macs arent that well known... but luckily, macs are more than welcome in my family... in fact... my mom thinks they sooo cool... and so does my little brother... (he's in love with the apple mouse) and my dad is planning on getting macs for his school (he's a headmaster at a local school :))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Ghostshadow said:
people say " macs suck" me- "why" .. them, they have no clue, especially when they have never touched a mac.. i hate that so much,
I hear you, I hate that too. I was talking to a friend of mine and some how it came up that I have a G5 and my friend was like "WOAH YOU HAVE A IMAC G5 THOSE THINGS ARE AMAZING" then I say "no just a regular G5 tower" them "oh..... Macs suck"

OP
Meyvn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I discovered a new "positive" stereotype today thanks to my iBook: "Macs are so sexy/cute! I wish I'd gotten one of those." Of course, this does somewhat distract the user from noticing the other good things about Macs, but hey, a little triviality never hurt the market share.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
LOL about the guy who thought a dual G5 tower sucked, but an iMac was the cat's meow... he's done his homework clearly.

My personal pet-peeve is people, INCLUDING MAC USERS, who say how lousy Macs are for games. Get this: THEY AREN'T. Even something like a mini still has plenty of games that will run well on it. I use my G5 tower for Doom3, Halo, and Homeworld 2, and I'm an avid X-plane junkie with my own rudder pedals and the Saitek X52 flight control system (which is apparently "for PC only" because "MAC" isn't written on the box- yet somehow it works just fine!) No game has ever crashed on my system, and my frame rates are awesome... plus it has built in 5.1 surround out the optical port!

"Macs suck!" LOL... mine will be running the latest games with ease for years to come.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook 12", ipod photo 20gig
Meyvn said:
I discovered a new "positive" stereotype today thanks to my iBook: "Macs are so sexy/cute! I wish I'd gotten one of those." Of course, this does somewhat distract the user from noticing the other good things about Macs, but hey, a little triviality never hurt the market share.
macs are the ultimate chic magnets :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
A year ago a friend said he was looking at getting a new computer. He understands practically nothing of them and has only used ms windows, excel & word, and ie.

I suggested he seriously look at getting a Mac because with his level of knowledge it would be the easiest for him to deal with. He'd be a big windows maintenance nightmare if any of us would consider that level of support. I live 300+ miles away. :) Anyhow... His response was; There is no software for it. This from a guy who uses three applications, and doesn't know it!

Just a few days ago he was asking about Macintosh, as a year has passed and he still 'really' needs a new machine. After I picked my jaw off the floor I had interesting conversation with him. Seems one of the new things he is interested in doing is creating his own slide and video shows. Hmm. The Mac does this well out of the box doesn't it?

This weekend he'll have a DVD I did via iPhoto and iDVD under 10.4.3! It took me longer to choose the music track than it did to create the master piece. ;))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
I had a talk with a friend of mine and I told him I was looking into ibooks. He promptly said "Macs suck", to which I asked "why?" He says "I dunno, I just say it but I really have no reasoning behind it." And I continue to hear the whole "it won't work with PC's." I think people make change harder than it really needs to be. My dad almost blew a fuse when I switched his IE to Firefox. Funny how people just make assumptions with no basis behind 'em. That friend of mine is now looking to purchase an ibook himself. Ha!

L

liberal123

"Designer's only use Mac's becuase they can't deal with two mouse buttons"

Morons!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Mace said:
I think people make change harder than it really needs to be.
Thats exactly the US will never switch to metric system.
5,280 feet in a mile.... :eek:neye:

L

lil

I'm not sure that's quite the same, I'm 22 and by rights I should know metric but my parents obviously exclusively use imperial/English measurements, and so I got used to it too.

Now I find it hard to grasp stuff in metric as I find I am constantly comparing things in metric to what it is in imperial to quantify it.

I liken a bit to when you go abroad and you work out what the local currency is in your home country's currency (well I do and just about anybody I know does).

But I do see your point, but as I see it, I'll always be able to quantify a mile, or 500 yds or 10 fl oz or whatever more than metres and litres personally!

(And I am definitely not one to be stuck in my ways)

Anyway that's OT! :flower:

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I'm the only person in my college course (Advanced Computer Systems Technology) who owns a Mac.. I go into my classes and bust out my Powerbook proudly, and every one's like "Eww a Mac!" I'm like "it works.. i plug something in, doesn't say a peep, just works, the way a computer SHOULD be!" then they're like "yeah well.. they suck" and shut up.. It's funny though, because my Info Tech teacher, and my data comm/cisco professors both use G4 Powerbooks for presentations.

I've never had a problem going from PC to Mac and vise-versa regarding compatibility even with networking. Works great together.

I find that most Windows users are ignorant towards Macs, considering most have never used them, or have for about 3 minutes. My gf loves my Powerbook and is planning on buying either an iBook or Powerbook. She was impressed at how everything just works.

M

Merlinblack

The only thing I've ever had trouble with (basically never been able to use) is VB.net for school.

Which I don't mind since I still own a PC at home.

The cliche I hear all the time is the "There are no programs for them" or "I don't know how to use it" at school. Which is funny because we are computer systems students and use unix/linux boxes on a daily basis... oh well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
The standard thing most people will say about a Mac is "there isn't as much software for it as for PCs". Well, after going through a switch myself, and recently convincing my wife through months of her witnessing how much easier it was for me to get things done to switch from her Windows PC I've come to some answers for those who would say there is not software for the Mac: The bazillions of software titles out there for Windows PC's are about 95% CRAP.

If you go to your local Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA or wherever you will see aisles and aisles of software for the PC. If they even have a section for the Mac it will be about 8x6' of wall devoted to Mac software, if that. But when you look closer at what is available for PC's vs. what's available for the Mac you will realize that most of what's available for the PC aside from the standard Office, Photoshop etc. is just crappy software. That's because Windows is so entrenched that every software maker provides software for the PC, but there is so much that it is difficult to determine what is the best. On the Mac side of the software coin what is available is quality stuff that helps the user get things done. So really even though the software section for the Mac is smaller, it contains the software that has the most potential to get stuff done and all that other software out there only for PC's are primarily sold to make those software makers money. They don't necessarily make life easier for the buyer.

My wife switched because her Windows XP was getting too much in the way of what she does, which is create art digitally since I built her machine and installed Photoshop on it. As she got more frustrated we decided that a Mac would be the best way to let her get work done without the computer getting in the way of that. She uses a Wacom tablet and I told her that it would work perfectly with her Mac, the version of Photoshop would more closely follow the bible she was learning from, and the whole experience would be much better than that with the PC. I was a tad apprehensive about this since I've heard the stories of those who just couldn't cope with going from the Windows environment to the Mac environment and feared that my wife would be one of those but took the plunge anyway.

After replacing her huge, loud, power-hungry PC with her Mac Mini, plugging in all her peripherals (Wacom, keyboard/mouse, monitor, printer), copying her data files from the old PC to the Mac, and going through the initial setup I was prepared for long sessions on showing her all of the nuances of working with a Mac instead of a PC. What actually happened was I showed her precisely four things: What the dock was, how to navigate around in Finder a bit, how to launch iChat so she could communicate with me at work, and the notion that certain apps like Photoshop under the OS X environment act a little differently from Windows. She then proceeded to go off and explore her new computer with no advice from me whatsoever. She too finds it difficult to explain exactly why her whole experience is better than that with Windows, but words like 'intuitive', 'everything is so easy', 'spotlight is awesome', and 'dashboard and exposé make for such a cool experience' come to mind. She also really digs the built in dictionary. She is now more than happy to throw rocks at her old Windows PC, which by the way wasn't all that shabby of a computer.

So there you have an example of someone who isn't necessarily computer literate but is still familiar with how Windows does things finding that using OS X on a Mac is a far superior experience immediately after starting to use it. The only problem is that you have to experience it yourself before you can truly understand why, and even then it is difficult to put into words.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
I was stopping in a hotel that had internet connection via ethernet. For the life of me it wouldn't work and having made 3 calls to the IT helpdesk and 4 conversations, the manager came down to see me. The first thing he said was "huh a mac, these things are backwards!" Having picked my jaw up from the floor, I said that I thought it was the ISP that was the problem because I know that I am connected to the internet. The manager then says"how do you know you are connected to the internet?" I said because it says so as the network window was open from system preferences. "Oh" he replies. I dont think he was impressed that my diagnostics were so simply identified from a backwards machine...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.