Bootcamp problem but can't find forum

Reaction score
I have been searching for help with a bootcamp problem and got to this website. I found a forum that seemed to be the right place for me and then signed up. Now I can't find the forum again to ask my question.
I obviously am a novice and need some help, please!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can ask your question here. If we have to move the post later, just follow the re-direct arrows. Ask away....

OP
O
Reaction score
Bootcamp: "You can't change the startup disk ...."

I have a MacBook Pro. The computer was set up for me by a friend about 14 months ago. The disk is partitioned, and I have Lion and Windows 7. I use bootcamp to go to Windows. Or at least I did until a few days ago.
After installing H&R Block tax software on the Windows side of my Mac about a week ago, I completed my taxes. I did it over a period of days. I also installed something from H&R Block that was called PDF995, I believe it was. Its purpose was to allow me to read my tax return without having to use the whole software program. It was, I believe, a PDF reader. That was the only change I made before I exited the program and returned to Lion. The next time I tried to go to Windows 7, I got the following message when I tried to boot up.
"You can't change the startup disk to the selected disk. The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk."
I know nothing about bootcamp or bless tool or anything. All I know is that I can't get to the Win7 part of my Mac and would very much appreciate some help.
Thank you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Rather than using the Startup Disk applet, try shutting down the machine. When you turn it back on, press and hold the "Option" key immediately after powering on. This should give you the option to boot to your Boot Camp partition.

I'd imagine once Windows boots up cleanly on one occasion, it should be fine going forward. It sounds like it had a less-than-graceful shutdown at some point.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like your friend installed "rEFIt" which is a boot menu or startup tool. The "bless" part is their terminology. I can show you how to turn off "rEFIt" but if you're not familiar with how to navigate through files and folders in OS X, you may have to get someone to help you out. In the meantime, try what cwa107 told you.

If you think you can follow my instructions, post back and I'll give you a step by step on how to turn off rEFIt.

OP
O
Reaction score
It sounds like your friend installed "rEFIt" which is a boot menu or startup tool. The "bless" part is their terminology. I can show you how to turn off "rEFIt" but if you're not familiar with how to navigate through files and folders in OS X, you may have to get someone to help you out. In the meantime, try what cwa107 told you.

If you think you can follow my instructions, post back and I'll give you a step by step on how to turn off rEFIt.

I don't see my reply here, so I may have done it wrong! Anyway, here is what I tried to send last time:

I did what cwa107 suggested and I was able to boot up in windows. I was then able to go back to OS X just fine. But then when I tried to go back into windows, I got the same message I had had before. I again followed cwa107's instructions and it worked again. I was most grateful. However, I am wondering if I will always have to access windows tby shutting down my computer and then repowering this way?
Also, if I turn off "rEFIt," what will that do or allow me to do or not do?
I really appreciate your help and hope this is not a duplicate message!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, if I turn off "rEFIt," what will that do or allow me to do or not do?
I really appreciate your help and hope this is not a duplicate message!

If you turn off "rEFIt" the boot process will return to normal. Since it's a boot menu it intercepts the commands and "blesses" them.

Here's how to turn off "rEFIt":

Open your Finder. Click on MacIntosh HD.

Now find a folder named "EFI".

Rename that folder to "EFI_save"

Reboot the computer

The boot process should now return to normal. In other words, you can select if you want to boot to OS X or Windows by holding down the option key. The default boot should be to OS X.

OP
O
Reaction score
I found EFI and will give this a try. I assume that if there is a problem I can go back in and rename the folder back to EFI, right?
Sorry to be so ignorant. I know so little it makes me nervous every time I do anything to my computer!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found EFI and will give this a try. I assume that if there is a problem I can go back in and rename the folder back to EFI, right?
Sorry to be so ignorant. I know so little it makes me nervous every time I do anything to my computer!

Yes, that's why I have you renaming it rather than removing it. Let us know if this brings the boot process back to normal. Remember, you can always go into System Preferences, Startup Disk, and set OS X as the default boot. Getting into Windows will then require holding down the option key at startup and selecting Windows.

OP
O
Reaction score
Chscag:
Oh, dear, I'm confused. The "normal" boot process for me was switch between OS-X and Windows7 by going to System Preferences, Startup Disk, and then highlight Windows on Bootcamp, then click restart and then Windows7 would come up. I didn't have to shut down the computer at all.
I think OS-X has been the default boot; when I have shut my computer down, OS-X comes up when I power on. Are you saying that by essentially getting rid of EFI, I will be able to go back to what was normal for my computer?
I'm sorry to be such a pain. As I said, I'm not very good with all this! I appreciate your help and your patience!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once rEFIt has been stopped, the default system to boot to is set by going into System Preferences, Startup Disk, and choose which one you want to boot to.

After doing that, every time you boot it will default to whatever you chose. To alter that (change boot preference) hold down the option key when booting the machine, and that will allow you to choose which to boot, OS X or Windows.

OP
O
Reaction score
Dear chscag,
I must apologize for not getting back to you and thanking you profusely for you good and generous help. I have no excuses for being so rude and ungrateful.
Thank you very much; I very much appreciate your help and am much obliged.
Old Lady

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're most certainly welcome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.