• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Problem with splitting a clip

Reaction score
I have read a number of tutorials on the internet about how to do this but Edit/split clip stays grayed out. I move the yellow border to where I want the clip to split, but then how to I get it to split? The option stays grayed-out.

I am totally frustrated with this difficult-to-use software!

Thanks for any help.

C

chas_m

I'm going to guess that you're on a Mac, and that you're using iMovie. Always remember that we cannot see your setup, so giving us lots of details will only help matters and get you better answers, faster.

If I'm correct about your situation, I suspect the problem is that you're trying to split a clip in an event rather than in a project. iMovie uses events to store the actual footage, but to work on the files you need to create a project.

If you are working in a project, it's not the yellow selection border that you need to move; it's the playhead. Move the playhead (thin red line) to the point where you want to split and right-click, then choose the split from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 21.5" i5 iMac 2.7ghz 4gb ram 1tb HDD
That's exactly what I was doing wrong, chas. I may also have had to switch to advance settings, too, though that might have related to something else I was doing wrong!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.