• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

File Formats for editing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook2,1 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GHz, 2gig Mem, OS X Lion, 320 HD
I'm getting reacquainted with video editing. I have received dvd's from a friend that are VOB, IFO etc. My mac won't open them. How do I make the compatable with iMovie? Once my edits are done what is the best format to use for burning to dvd to watch on a TV?

Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You can convert the DVDs to something iMovie can handle using Handbrake. I have also used Mpeg Streamclio. The videos themselves are in the .vob files

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you

I researched and answered my own question. Any free converters worth having?

Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
handbrake or MPEG Streamclip should handle the conversion. I've used both. MPEG Streamclip has the advantage of being able to do some basic trimming of unwanted footage.

Heres a description of the extraction/conversion process in MPEG Streamclip ATPM 12.03 - How To: Performing a Video Extraction

C

chas_m

If you are planning to re-edit the videos before burning them onto a new DVD, I would suggest that you use MPEG Streamclip to convert the files to Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC). Very edit-friendly without "losing a generation" off the DVD video. The edited video will of course have to be RE-compressed to MPEG-2 as part of the DVD burning process, but at least you don't have to re-compress twice.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you,

I downloaded Prism, If I use that instead of the Apple intermediate Codec will I lose a generation? Should I still get MPEG Streamclip?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.