spinning!!

Reaction score
My almost 2 year old MacBook, OS X 10.6.8, runs very, very slow after a little use, online and off...I gave it a 6 weeks holiday while I was away and when I returned it worked properly for 3 days, then began its slow decline into the little rainbow spinning and spinning. The sellers, Best Buy, where my guarantee runs out in 3 weeks, attempted to fix it, but seemed to do nothing and couldn't find any problem. There IS a problem, and its very frustrating. I feel like its a 90s version running on dial-up. Any suggestions? thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Several things you can do (which the Geek squad could have done):

1. Download the free OnyX maintenance and cleanup program from here and let it run its scripts. It will verify your hard drive and also repair permissions. Just follow directions.

2. If that doesn't help, run the Apple Hardware Test on your machine.

C

chas_m

Asking Best Buy to fix a Mac is like asking a soap bubble to fix the Greek economy.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What do you mean your Mac didn't like OnyX? Can you elaborate?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 15" MBP, OSx 10.8.4, Ipad 64g (2012), Iphone 4S, Ipod Nano
Im not trying to highjack this post but I have a simuliar problem, I was watching videos yesterday in itunes on my MBP (which I just got less then 2 months ago), I had the spinning beach ball when I was trying to close Itunes and now I get it every so often, is maintence needed on my MBP already? I am in Kuwait so going to an Apple store is out of the equation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
^ Are you running several things all at the same time when this happens?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 15" MBP, OSx 10.8.4, Ipad 64g (2012), Iphone 4S, Ipod Nano
^ Are you running several things all at the same time when this happens?

I dont run more then 2-3 programs at a time, but when this happened no, Itunes was the only thing running

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well, the reason I asked is that the spinning "beach ball" means "Wait, processes are not being executed." That usually occurs when the computer is overloaded with more than it can handle without delay. In your case, I'm not sure why that is happening.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi...this is Babaram again. "Beachball", what a bad name for this annoying thing. It comes on and stays on anytime, even when editing iphoto. I switched to Opera and never use Safarti anymore and it messes up much less, though still sometimes. PS. I love my BB Playbook

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.