iDVD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011, Ipad 4, Iphone 5, Imac 21.5 2012, ipod 4thG
I have a new mbp and have been working on a iMovie that is ready to burn to a dvd but it turns out my mbp does not come with any burning software. I phoned Apple support and they told me to buy 3rd party software. I have to say I am very disappointed in Apple to do that to Mac's and for the price we paid for our laptop's and no dvd burning software? I don't get it.
What do y'all use? Are there any free programs that are trustworthy?

C

chas_m

The reason Apple stopped adding iDVD to Macs:

1. Most people just pop edited videos up to YouTube these days.
2. iDVD took a REALLY LONG TIME to make a DVD and people are just not patient anymore.
3. The program was prone to being very buggy when it didn't have TONS of disk space available.

So, looking at things objectively, I think Apple's reasoning here is pretty sound. iDVD just never measured up to the quality of Apple experience the company demands, and not enough people were needing the feature to make it worth developing further (and that's before you get into the limitations of the format itself, which is rapidly going obsolete).

Also, not to be snide but ... if DVD burning software is that important to you, why is "must be free" a precondition? I think you're kind of making Apple's point right there.

You can try Burn (that's what it's called), it's free. Toast is a LOT better but, unsurprisingly, high-quality software generally costs money.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are there any free programs that are trustworthy?

Try the free "Burn". Download from here.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011, Ipad 4, Iphone 5, Imac 21.5 2012, ipod 4thG
Being new to Mac and having a PC, every laptop I bought had DVD buying software in it, it came with it. I am surprised as I paid $800 for my laptop a number of years ago and I paid a lot more for the Mac and my Toshiba had the software.
I prefer to burn DVD as opposed to using Youtube, I just take the movie I made and pop it in at friend's places, families, work etc.

Thanks for putting the link to software chscag.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.