Parallels 7 Question

Reaction score
I have a mid 2011 iMac running Lion. I need to install Win7 to run some programs that I haven't found Mac counterparts for yet. I plan to use Parallels to be able to do so within Lion but I understand some graphic intense programs don't run well in a virtual machine. First, is this true?

Secondly, in any case, I am in a quandary as to whether it is best to install Windows on the Bootcamp partition and then use the Bootcamp partition to create a VM in Lion using parallels or omit the Bootcamp partition and install Windows in a VM using the install disc.

I will appreciate some guidance from some with more experience than I have.

Thanks,

Rail

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have a mid 2011 iMac running Lion. I need to install Win7 to run some programs that I haven't found Mac counterparts for yet. I plan to use Parallels to be able to do so within Lion but I understand some graphic intense programs don't run well in a virtual machine. First, is this true?

That's true but it's mostly games that need 3D acceleration which do not work well. Why don't you tell us which graphic intensive programs you intend to run and perhaps we can tell you if they will or not.

Secondly, in any case, I am in a quandary as to whether it is best to install Windows on the Bootcamp partition and then use the Bootcamp partition to create a VM in Lion using parallels or omit the Bootcamp partition and install Windows in a VM using the install disc.

Parallels (and VMWare Fusion) will virtualize a Boot Camp partition and run it in a VM which avoids having to reboot to Windows. Keep in mind this means extra $$$ for Parallels and a copy of Windows 7. Boot Camp is free which means all you would need is a copy of Windows 7.

Again, tell us which programs you intend to run in Windows and perhaps we can help you decide what to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.