• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Merging subtitles and movies

Reaction score
I am having a trouble finding a good app that would allow me to merge the subtitle (.srt, etc) in a foreign movie. I wanted to make them into a one file. Is there any subtitle and movie merger that is for free and downloadable online?

Thanks a lot! :)

C

chas_m

It depends VERY much on what format the movie is in. Very few formats support subtitles.

Broadly speaking, you want the movie file to be in AVI (divx will do nicely) and the subtitle file to be a in a standard format (SRT for example). You can then use ffmpegX (free) or iFFmpeg (not free but cheap) to mux the two together. Once that's done, the file can be converted to any format you like.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I have searched ffmpegX and have read that it was a movie encoder/decoder or an app that converts formats. I was looking for an app which would allow me to merge my subtitle(.srt) and movie(.avi/.mkv) because I do not like them to be separate icons.

Thank you very much for the reply! :) By the way, I also tried downloading ffmpegX but there was a warning popping out that it could harm my computer so I discarded the download.

Reaction score
I used that apk but it doesn't recognize srt files. Any idea?
Thanks Dim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 15 in MBP, 2.2 i7, 8 GB RAM; iPhone 4; iPad 2 16GB, AT&T
Have been trying to do the same thing. the only program that i have found that does it is iskysoft but the cheapest version, video converter is $36, does anybody know a cheaper program?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Have been trying to do the same thing. the only program that i have found that does it is iskysoft but the cheapest version, video converter is $36, does anybody know a cheaper program?

Dont buy that. Its a rubbish, spammy piece of software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 15 in MBP, 2.2 i7, 8 GB RAM; iPhone 4; iPad 2 16GB, AT&T
using mencoder ffmpegx will create on output file with burned subtitles but does not handle mkv files, i guess you can use iffmpeg to convert the file to mp4 or avi format and then use ffmpegx.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.