Switching to PC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3, G4 dual Quicksilver, MacPro QuadCore £Ghz
I've invested a lot of money (around $100,000) over the years since the late '80's.
I've kept and treasured them because they still work, all of them. And they still perform useful tasks in my studio.
For the fist time, I see from mac a typical cheap business redundancy scheme, which can only be out of sheer greed and for no other reason.
I cannot upgrade my beautiful and faithful G4 Quicksilver dual 1Ghz top of the range at the time (late '90's) to OSX 5. This means I cannot download the iTunes which makes us able to join the new iCloud. The iSync which was so wonderful will cease to exist from July this year.
This means that my G4 Quicksilver can no longer run my office as it does so well, because I can no longer sync addresses etc between my office computer and my iPhone, iPad, MacPro Quad-Core 3Ghz and all the rest of my stuff from mac which I am not going to buy until they sort that out.
I'd rather SWITCH to PC than give you any more of my money.
I can run on PC as well you know.
And he gives his money to CHARITY!!

David

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You do realize that we are in no way associated with Apple? These forums are staffed by volunteers who are here to assist users. In other words, you're complaining to the wrong people and in the wrong place. I realize you're venting off frustration... but I suggest you take it to Apple direct if you want something done about your complaints.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I can run on PC as well you know.
And he gives his money to CHARITY!!

Sounds like a plan!:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm Sorry

I apologize. I was indeed venting off. I hope you did get the feeling that I am a true mac fan .
I mentioned all those beautiful computers that still work.
They are closer to me than girlfriends.
I'm also embarrassed, because apparently, I can get my G4 dual to work with Leopard as long as it has more than 688mhz, which mine certainly does.
So it's because I was trying to install from a DVD that was made from an Intel Mac.
Which is true. My computer technician who does that kind of thing installed into my Intel 18 months and I thought i could just use the disc he left behind.
So the question is now... how can I buy a retail leopard OSX 5. Mac shop no go.
I'll just go and shout at my Mac guy in geneva in the morning instead!
Thanks again..
Please don't fire me off this forum for being a naughty boy!
I promise I won't do it again.

David

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
I dont know about everyone else, but If i bought a computer in the late 90's, and around 12 years later, I finally had no use for it anymore, I'd be pretty happy with my investment.

You don't give me any money. But hey, if you fancy dishing some my way, I'll happily help you switch to the PC. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And if they are work computers no doubt have well and truly been written off as plant by now. And do not give rob any money at all he will squander it on more Macs. Give it to me instead.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't understand.. Us music guys are very wary about upgrading.
1. if it works don't fix it
2. if you're in the middle of an album, you can't just go changing operating systems
3. Some albums take years.
4. If you upgrade too fast all your plug-ins, waves, melodyne, Spectrasonics, etc haven't caught up, because Apple will not release their secrets until release. No plug-ins .. No sound.
Can take up to a year for the plug-ins to catch up. some of them never do..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...I can get my G4 dual to work with Leopard as long as it has more than 688mhz...

Small correction...official minimum cpu speed for OS 10.5 Leopard is 867mhz.

AND...there's actually a program called "Leopard Assist"...which will help with installing Leopard (10.5) on slower G4 computers (less than an 867mhz cpu). But don't expect great performance if this is done.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All I want to do is have it be able to join the iCloud.
it was delegated to office work long ago.
but syncing up the address book is important.
She just does Web browser and Word processor and networks my airport and printer.
And will not be made redundant... did so many great things in the '90's

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Small correction...official minimum cpu speed for OS 10.5 Leopard is 867mhz.

AND...there's actually a program called "Leopard Assist"...which will help with installing Leopard (10.5) on slower G4 computers (less than an 867mhz cpu). But don't expect great performance if this is done.

- Nick

Nick, he has a Dual 1Ghz G4 Quicksilver.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool.. So where is he?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah...where is he?;)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
C

chas_m

Your 12-year-old computer is not going to be able to join iCloud.

Luckily, your address book that you "sync" to a mobile device (I'm presuming) will, so when you finally get a new(er) computer that will give you just as much joy as this one did, your data will be right there waiting.

I appreciate that we like to hold on to things as long as they keep working (he said, writing this to you on a 2007 BlackBook that will be obsolete this summer), believe me. But if Apple didn't keep pushing change, the entire computer industry would stagnate (or disappear up its own backside like Linux did).

Change is sometimes difficult, but for the most part it works out in the end (especially when we're talking Apple -- their track record on good change v bad change I'll put up against any other tech player you care to name). Don't get stuck in a rut (even a nice rut) for too long.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You don't understand.. Us music guys are very wary about upgrading.
1. if it works don't fix it
2. if you're in the middle of an album, you can't just go changing operating systems
3. Some albums take years.
4. If you upgrade too fast all your plug-ins, waves, melodyne, Spectrasonics, etc haven't caught up, because Apple will not release their secrets until release. No plug-ins .. No sound.
Can take up to a year for the plug-ins to catch up. some of them never do..

She just does Web browser and Word processor and networks my airport and printer.
She is very F,,ing uselful!!
And will not be made redundant... did so many great things in the '90's

Seems like the elephant in the room to me, am I missing something?

I fully appreciate not wanting to rock the boat when you have a 'mission critical' piece of equipment.
You can do all you describe by keeping your finely balanced in use kit. As the saying goes 'it owes you nothing after 12 years of solid service' and get a new Mac to use alongside rather than replace.
That way all these uses and needs can be fulfilled.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks

Thanks, I'll do that then.:Blushing:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
This is my favorite post of all time here!!!

Mountain Studios you just inspired me to contact Radio shack and complain that my TRS-80 is no good and that I am not buying another one of their computers until they can update it to work with ITunes and can video edit the new Avatar movie.

Update: I just called Radio shack and they said they have no idea what a TRS-80 is :(

I used to do music production back in the day when the Atari ST line was the thing to do music production on. I miss those fun days!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update: I just called Radio shack and they said they have no idea what a TRS-80 is :(

Doesn't surprise me (I know that you're joking...about actually calling Radio Shack...I hope).;) Call up the Apple Store...and they probably wouldn't know what a Powermac G4 was either...or a Powerbook, iBook, Powermac G3, or iMac G3 (I could include even older models...but the Apple Store answer would be the same).

I swear everyone at the Apple Store has selective amnesia when it comes to any products that are more than 3-4 years old!;) They probably don't even remember the 30" Apple Cinema Display!!;)

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it!" (George Santayana)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
Hello Pigoo3

Anyone that gets between 5-7 years out of a computer nowadays should be ecstatic. yes I was kidding but I do know people who have done those kind of things :)

I have a friend that goes to Bestbuy and complains to all of them about not including Dos on any of the new computers. They all avoid him when he walks in there and wonders why I don't hang with him anymore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.