XP disappeared

Reaction score
I installed XP on boot camp on my Mac Book Pro. Now when I hold the Alt/Option key at boot time XP no longer shows up. Restarting into XP from Mac OS X I get this error:

No Bootable Device - insert boot disk and press enter

The partition is still there. It shows up under Mac OS. Any suggestions of how to fix this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You probably need to repair XP which you can do with your original XP CD. See the following article to learn how. LINK

A word of caution: Be real careful you don't accidentally "repair" your Mac OS X partition instead. Make a backup before proceeding. Use either SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to make the backup.

OP
M
Reaction score
I already tried doing a repair install of XP but the Windows Setup will not even recognize that there is a partition with XP installed. It's wiered. The partition is visible from the Snow Leopard installation, and I can browse directories in it as well.

My hard drive partition scheme is like this. It's a 320 GB hard drive, About 70 GB allocated to Mac OS, and 70 GB allocated to XP, and the XP installer program is seeing about 304 GB of "unallocated" space, nothing else, so it won't let me do a repair install.

I've run TestDisk and the XP partition shows up as a FAT32 file system. So wiered. I didn't format with FAT32 when I installed XP, I used NTFS. I try switching the file system type with TestDisk but the chage won't stick. I updated the GUID partition table with TestDisk as well and nothing changed. I ran recovery console on the XP disk and did a fixboot just to see if the partition boot sector was bad, which it was, but it still didn't change anything.

I really don't care if I have to just reinstall XP, I'm just trying to recover it now as a learning experience. I don't have any files on it that I need.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.