• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

ProfCast, other video-creating programs

Reaction score
I have an extra credit project that I want to do for school. For the project, I need to use the OpenOffice version of Powerpoint to create a few slides and then convert it into a video while also having a voice recording to go along with it.

I am using a Macbook and do not want to purchase a program for this project. I would love to hear feedback as to what program would be best for this kind of project. I have not used ProfCast or any video program before so I would love to hear some feedback on some free options!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Have you looked to see if iMovie will do that?

C

chas_m

Profcast is intended to record the slides into a movie along with your live narration as you change the slides, very much like a live lecture slideshow. So think of it more as a capture tool.

IMovie works a bit differently but can easily do the job. Rehearse your narration for the slides and make note of how long the slides are "up" between changes.

Drop the still images of the slides (exported from OO) into iMovie (they will have a default value of 5 seconds but you can change that). Change them into the times you noted from before.

Add your narration as a separate audio track (either recording live into iMovie or using QuickTime (or Garageband) to record the narration separately as an audio file). Now adjust the timings on the "slides" so that they change when you want them to. All done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.