Printing passport Photos

Reaction score
Hi,
I want to print some passport size photos (2x2). Is it possible to edit any pictures I have taken using my digital camera and print it onto a 4x6 paper. I do not have adobe photoshop software. I would like to know if there is any free software that would do the job. I am a complete novice to this field and any would appreciate any help. Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I sure hope you're not looking to edit your passport photos...so you can use the edited photos for your passport. Cause if so...I'm sure there's something illegal about that.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Sorry Pigoo if my terminology wasn't clear enough. I need to be able to print 2x2 size pictures on a 4x6 photo paper (I mean six of them together) so that I can use my photo printer which has a 4x6 paper slot and print all in one go to be cut individually into 2x2 photos. I guess that will be much cheaper than paying $10-20 for 1 passport photo from the stores. Even the guys from stores suggested that I make up my photos into a 4x6 format and they would print it much much cheaper. I sure don't want to edit / alter any photos. I want to know which program (and how) to use to convert my digital photos to 2x2 size an stack them up together in one 4x6 photo. Thanks.

C

chas_m

Be aware that passport photos are not "any picture of you that is 2x2." There are some very specific guidelines (background color, placement of face, distance of camera, etc) that you can probably find online.

So, now that you know that, I would suggest the free Portraits and Prints from Econ (disclaimer: I'm friends with them, but they make great stuff!) which is unsupported but works fine in Lion and will give you a great deal of control over print options, contact sheets et al.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks chas, I have read the guidelines for photo requirements. I tried Econ as suggested by you. I am not able to get what I want with this software. [Not able to convert photo to 2x2 size and paste on to a 4x6 picture]. All it allows me is, to paste multiple big photos to one page. Have you or anyone done it before?
Lately I had some success with pasting photos on to a powerpoint slide and trying to print. The only problem is that I get an area of blank space at the bottom which alters the sizes of the photos and I find that impossible to eliminate. I welcome all suggestions and I'm willing to try out those. Thanks.

C

chas_m

Try this:

1. If the original photo is in iPhoto, drag a copy out onto the main desktop (if not in iPhoto, just move a copy of the picture out to the main desktop).

2. Open Preview (it's built-in on your Mac) and resize the photo the way you want (2x2). Export.

3. Now use Portraits & Prints (or whatever else you like) to arrange your 2x2s into a 4x6 grid.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I still haven't been successful. I managed to get the photos to correct size using a tool on the passport photo website. I have the correct photo on the desktop. I could not figure out how to actually paste that on a 4x6 photo. The portrait and Prints software is only giving me options to print it on an A4 page. How can I select a 4x6 frame on that website ? please advise. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.