Nikon D800 - Early Review

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06 I3, 16Gig Ram, OSX 10.6.8
Cliff Mautner, famous wedding photographer for 20 years, was asked by Nikon to evaluate their new camera, the D800. I found his review so exciting that I had to post a link to his blog site where you can see the whole review. Just the following snippet got my mouth watering.

"Some of the more interesting technology introduced in this camera is the face recognition for auto exposure. The idea here is that the 3D color matrix meter III uses the face recognition information and exposes for the face- rather than the other elements in the frame. This is a real advantage in backlit situations. This image was shot in Aperture priority with absolutely ZERO compensation. The advantages here are obvious. Even in a challenging lighting scenario, if the camera can recognize the human face, it'll expose for that face without the need to adjust, thus, nailing exposure consistently without the need to compensate". - Cliff Mautner

The complete review can be found at - Blog - Cliff Mautner Photography

Also check out this review by a friend of Mr. Mautner, - http://www.robvanpettenphoto.com/

Get ready to pre-order a D800, I have. :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Cliff Mautner, famous wedding photographer for 20 years, was asked by Nikon to evaluate their new camera, the D800. I found his review so exciting that I had to post a link to his blog site where you can see the whole review. Just the following snippet got my mouth watering.

"Some of the more interesting technology introduced in this camera is the face recognition for auto exposure. The idea here is that the 3D color matrix meter III uses the face recognition information and exposes for the face- rather than the other elements in the frame. This is a real advantage in backlit situations. This image was shot in Aperture priority with absolutely ZERO compensation. The advantages here are obvious. Even in a challenging lighting scenario, if the camera can recognize the human face, it'll expose for that face without the need to adjust, thus, nailing exposure consistently without the need to compensate". - Cliff Mautner

The complete review can be found at - Blog - Cliff Mautner Photography

Also check out this review by a friend of Mr. Mautner, - Rob Van Petten

Get ready to pre-order a D800, I have. :)
That would be a real handy filter down to lower models, perhaps even as a scene mode selection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.