On the brink of switching...

T

trix213

I'm on a PC right now, but i need a laptop for school. I've heard absolutely nothing but good things about powerbooks and I'm doing quite a bit of graphic design (although nothing professional). and im amped to start playing around with garageband and stuff like that. (im just a multimedia junkie).

im not big on games...but i am big on photoshop and msn (not to mention firefox!!).

my question is: is it worth it to take the switch now? (nov 2005) Cuz im tight budgeted and if there's any christmas sales, im going to be pounding myself.

however tho, i've got student deals and im pretty sure (altho not positive...i am a freshman) that schools don't have sales on laptops.

furthermore, ther'es the whole MacTel thing coming out...but i also heard that there's not gonna be a 12inch...should i bother waiting? (or is that gonna be like next june)

But i've got a few other questions, some of them may be trivial, but im sure most mac users could answer them with ease....

1.can we use Windows Media Player? I doubt it but i don't like iTunes.

2.Does wma not work? I was on a school emac, and my blog had a wma file attached to it. It did not work. If it doesn't work, is there a simple way of converting the songs (that are in wma format) I have now into mac applicable formats?

3. Besides quicktime, is realplayer applicable? I have a LOT of rmvb files...and wmv and I really can't stand quicktime.

4. How much of my current programs can I keep?

I'm not big on games but i do have LIVE 2005, and starcraft :spook: (yes old school.) it'd be nice to keep playing those (although i rarely do so this isn't a big thing) Other than that, its Adobe programs, and Dreamweaver. I don't think i'll have any problems, but just to check...

5. the whole right click mouse button: I know ther'es a mighty mouse now, but its quite pricey. Will i be able to covert my optical logitech (yes the 10 dollars one) to the PB? im no good with laptop 'mice' and the one click thing just doesn't do it for me.

6. bluetooth. I'm not a dumb computer user, but i've never had to deal with wireless connections. now i have a usb network adapter key and a wireless g modem, but i've yet to set it up yet. Will it be a hassle? like i siad, im not computer illiterate, but i really have no experience with this stuff.

Thanks so much!!!

OP
S

sunny22

I just switched to a mac laptop for school, buying an ibook a few days ago. It was the best choice i ever made. Theres so muhc less to worry about, for example scanning for spyware. You should definately switch. But, unless your in higher education, you don't get a discount. Adobe programs will work very well on your powerbook. And if your on a tight budget and your using it for school, i would say get an ibook. They are much cheaper and are absolutely great computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
trix213 said:

2.Does wma not work? I was on a school emac, and my blog had a wma file attached to it. It did not work. If it doesn't work, is there a simple way of converting the songs (that are in wma format) I have now into mac applicable formats?

3. Besides quicktime, is realplayer applicable? I have a LOT of rmvb files...and wmv and I really can't stand quicktime.

I'm not big on games but i do have LIVE 2005, and starcraft :spook: (yes old school.) it'd be nice to keep playing those (although i rarely do so this isn't a big thing) Other than that, its Adobe programs, and Dreamweaver. I don't think i'll have any problems, but just to check...

5. the whole right click mouse button: I know ther'es a mighty mouse now, but its quite pricey. Will i be able to covert my optical logitech (yes the 10 dollars one) to the PB? im no good with laptop 'mice' and the one click thing just doesn't do it for me.

6. bluetooth. I'm not a dumb computer user, but i've never had to deal with wireless connections. now i have a usb network adapter key and a wireless g modem, but i've yet to set it up yet. Will it be a hassle? like i siad, im not computer illiterate, but i really have no experience with this stuff.

Thanks so much!!!
1. There is a mac Windows Media player but its pretty crappy. You don't have the library feature like on windows and you can't play protected files.

2. Once again there is a mac version of Windows Media Player

3. There is a mac version of Real Player too

4. I don't know about the current programs you can keep (because I don't know what you have) but you will have to re buy Office and Photoshop. And most other apps have a free alternative on mac. I wouldn't worry about it unless there is a specific app you absolutely need.

5. Any USB mouse will work with macs (you don't even need drivers)

6. All PowerBooks come with Airport built in. All you have to do to get on is select the network from the Airport menu (at the top of the screen) and if there is a password then type that in and you ready for internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
On the Mac, QuickTime and iTunes don't suck.

Windows Media Player on the Mac (yes, it's there) does suck. It's ugly, not all that reliable, and a pain to remove. RealPlayer on the Mac doesn't suck, exactly, but it's not great, either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
technologist said:
On the Mac, QuickTime and iTunes don't suck.

Windows Media Player on the Mac (yes, it's there) does suck. It's ugly, not all that reliable, and a pain to remove. RealPlayer on the Mac doesn't suck, exactly, but it's not great, either.
Yes, but the point is that you can play the files ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini (1G)/ 1.42 GHz PPC / 512MB Crucial RAM / 80 GB HDD / 160GB LaCie mini
Go ahead :)

Edit: When I started writing this, those three posts above weren't there :p

Hey trix213,

trix213 said:
I'm on a PC right now, but i need a laptop for school. I've heard absolutely nothing but good things about powerbooks and I'm doing quite a bit of graphic design (although nothing professional). and im amped to start playing around with garageband and stuff like that. (im just a multimedia junkie).

I switched April, and had similar concerns. From what you're saying, it seems you'll love OS X. Multimedia is a part of the OS, and I really mean it. I mean, Mac really looks and sounds good - it's well designed (but not perfect, that would be boring ;)). GarageBand 2 too is a lot of fun, I've produced a lot of songs (not pro either) and it's made things so much easier.

I'll take a shot at answering your questions.

im not big on games...but i am big on photoshop and msn (not to mention firefox!!).

my question is: is it worth it to take the switch now? (nov 2005) Cuz im tight budgeted and if there's any christmas sales, im going to be pounding myself.

Photoshop works and MSN Messenger works as well. For messaging, though, you have freeware like Adium that can connect to multiple networks.

furthermore, ther'es the whole MacTel thing coming out...but i also heard that there's not gonna be a 12inch...should i bother waiting? (or is that gonna be like next june)

The thing about 12" PB's not coming out is, at this point, a rumor. Not at all confirmed. It could be true, though. About waiting, if you are willing to wait two months, then do so - just to be sure (and since analysts like the idea of the PowerBook going Intel first).

But if you really don't have the time (and the switch will take several months to be complete anyway, and PPC will still be supported) - go ahead and buy one now. ;)

There's a version of Windows Media for Mac, and it plays wma's and wmv's.

There is Real Player for Mac.

Depends if the have a Mac version. Currently, you can't use Win32 applications in OS X. (This could be possibility later on for some apps with Darwine). Of course, you can always install Virtual PC and run Windows inside your Mac in those situations where you absolutely must. It probably won't happen though - there's a Mac alternative for almost everything.

You can check if games you want have Mac versions in their maker's websites. Also, check out MacSoft - they do a lot of porting. Also check out [url="http://www.macplay.com]MacPlay[/url].

Any USB mouse plugged in will work - all three buttons - no installation/drivers neccessary. Your Optical Logitech is a yes.

I believe you'll need to make sure the modem / router are compatible with your Mac. I don't have much experience either, maybe someone else can answer this.

Thanks so much!!!

You're welcome :headphone:

OP
J

jn4jenny

The Apple education discount for a Powerbook is $100. That's pretty weak. If you have budget issues, think about an iBook. If you have budget issues but really need a Powerbook for graphics power, consider a certified Apple refurb Powerbook. They're up to $350 cheaper than the current Powerbooks and only nominally less powerful. Don't forget to budget for the warranty. Macs are very dependable, but how many laptops have you owned in your life that didn't have a problem within the first three years? Yeah, thought so. Invest in the AppleCare upfront so that you won't have to worry.

Whatever you do though, keep your eye on available Powerbook prices by using www.powerbookcentral.com and www.lowendmac.com (Low End Mac offers both a roundup of weekly deals on every available Mac machine, as well as full specs for all Powerbooks past and present.)

Be forewarned: MSN Messenger for Mac seems unpopular with people who use it. The good news is that you can move to Adium or Fire or any of those Trillian-like applications that allow you to use multiple AOL/Yahoo/MSN accounts at once.

You're right--it's not a great idea to wait for the MacTel because a) nobody knows when it will happen for the Powerbook, b) nobody can be certain that they'll keep the 12-inch Powerbook in production, and c) Apple is notorious for bugs in its Rev. A products. So all the first MacTel stuff will probably be very buggy.

As for your questions, I'm not qualified to answer all of them, BUT:

4. If you can barely afford the Powerbook already, you might want to think seriously about the software expense. You will be able to keep almost none of your current "paid for" software. Things like MS Office, Adobe Photoshop, etc. will need to be repurchased, and they are not cheap. There are free alternatives to all of these--OpenOffice and NeoOffice and Abiword, Gimpshop, etc.--but if you're a stickler for having the original back, those .exe files become useless on your new Mac. If you have a lot lot lot of software that you'll need to repurchase and you're a student who can't afford that, then I hate to say it, but maybe now is not the best time for you to go Mac. If the software is not a concern or you can afford it, then welcome to the best computer experience of your life.

5. I hate the mighty mouse. With my PB, I use a four-button Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer (retail cost: $10) and it's much, much better.

6. I seriously doubt that your network stuff will be difficult. If you have a wireless network existing in the area and you know the password (if any), your Airport Express card will automatically see the network and put itself on the right settings.

OP
T

trix213

wow you guys are awesome. thanks so much! i probably wotn' wait for macTel...im not too big on buying new tech (like xbox360) when it first comes out.

i'll probably get it soon (my next paycheque?)

and oh yeah, at my school its 1699.99 (CAN)

im thinking of upgrading just to 768 MB ram for 50 (again CAN) bucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Windows Media Player for the Mac is a joke. The interface needs a complete redesign, and it's slow as molasses. The versions of QuickTime and iTunes for Windows are not very good; at best they're shadows of the programs they are meant to be. You'll be surprised how much different they are on OS X despite looking pretty much the same. RealPlayer is actually halfway decent. It doesn't scream "port" out at you quite so loudly as WMP. Again, however, I was a huge fan of it when I used Windows, and now I haven't touched it in months. Definitely give iTunes and QT a try on your new system before you knock them.

Additionally, Bluetooth, in case you were still wondering about it, is simply an additional wireless system that a lot of computers, cell phones, and PDAs are now beginning to use. It generally is not used to access the internet (but can be through certain cell phones), and it is a completely separate entity from 802.11. On the Mac, it's been used to sync the computers with PDAs, cell phones, headsets (for iChat), and most commonly: keyboards and mice.

As far as RAM, if you want to use any graphic design applications, you'll definitely want to go for as much as you can cram in there. Do not, however, buy your RAM from Apple directly if you can avoid it, since it's so much more expensive than purchasing it from a third party vendor such as Crucial or Kingston.

Oh, and a neat little thing about Starcraft: a "Mac OS X install disc 2" will come with your PowerBook when you get it. This will allow you to install OS 9 under what's called the "Classic environment," which allows you to run old applications under OS X. And since Blizzard (bless them) has always made it a habit of releasing Mac and PC games simultaneously, and usually even in the same box, you should be good to go on that game without spending an extra dime.

OP
L

lil

I won't repeat all the wonderful words here as they are excellent.

What I can offer is a link to a review i wrote about the current 12-inch PowerBook G4 on my website. It's half completed right now; as the second part will be how it performs in the field away for just reviewing specs. It will get posted here when it is finished too.

http://www.lilserenity.com/code/display_content.php?id=22&datepivot=-1&count=5&nepr=1&wob

Suffice to say -- everything on that site was designed on my 12" PB, from the graphics to the code. I cannot sing its praises highly enough.

It has been a dream to use in Illustrator, Painter and Photoshop -- and a beauty to take out and about on my jaunts around England doing my photography. It's a wonderful machine and if you can get one, want one, don't hold off - it's simply breathtaking.

Vicky :flower:

OP
B

Berman

lil said:

What I can offer is a link to a review i wrote about the current 12-inch PowerBook G4 on my website. It's half completed right now; as the second part will be how it performs in the field away for just reviewing specs. It will get posted here when it is finished too.

http://www.lilserenity.com/code/display_content.php?id=22&datepivot=-1&count=5&nepr=1&wob

Suffice to say -- everything on that site was designed on my 12" PB, from the graphics to the code. I cannot sing its praises highly enough.

It has been a dream to use in Illustrator, Painter and Photoshop -- and a beauty to take out and about on my jaunts around England doing my photography. It's a wonderful machine and if you can get one, want one, don't hold off - it's simply breathtaking.

agreed. i made the 'switch' in august when i purchased a 20" imac (which i'm typing this post on). i have never, EVER, been so satisfied with a home computer.

last week, my thinkpad r40 laptop crashed THREE goddam times while I was using powerpoint to give a presentation. i said "that's it," and went out and bought a 12" ibook. great little machine. it's about the size of a textbook and pretty **** light, yet durable. and, surprisingly, it's quite quick. i especially love the two-finger scroll function with the touchpad.

OP
T

trix213

lil - the site is so clean.

did u make that from pure notepad (or just textedit..) like programs? or were WYSIWAGs involved?

either way, good stuff!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
lil said:

Very nice review, you have a massive vocabulary :eek:

OP
L

lil

trix213 said:
lil - the site is so clean.

did u make that from pure notepad (or just textedit..) like programs? or were WYSIWAGs involved?

either way, good stuff!

I'm hardcore me, pure TextWrangler that was.

:flower:

No fancy WYSIWYG here, just that text editor, a copy of Photoshop and a boatload of time :flower:

The PHP/MySQL is also coded by me too, try out the search, works just like Spotlight - based on keywords. Seperate your keywords with a comma or a semi-colon. The Advanced Search is being done about now...

Oh and needless to say - all done on a Mac :flower:

Glad you like it, the aim was to create a clean, fresh and content rich site.

OP
L

lil

Benjamindaines said:
Very nice review, you have a massive vocabulary :eek:

Hehe, not bad for a Cockney lass eh :flower: My gargantuan vocabulary has its benefits :flower:

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
lil said:
Glad you like it, the aim was to create a clean, fresh and content rich site.

You've done a great job with that.

OP
C

coolemt

I was a PC user for years and I finally did the "switch". Wow, why did I not switch years ago. No hassles with updates, no viruses, my system works just fine... The rest of my family still uses the PC and whenever I have to try and help them I get so frustrated with it.. Itunes is great, u have MSN for Mac which is better. U should not even bother yourself with WMV... Switch to Mac. I just bought the lastest Powerbook and would not change it for the world.. Switch buddy switch

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.