BitDefende, Time Machine & Trojan virus

Reaction score
I have just installed BitDefender Antivirus 2011 for Mac. After 32 hours of scanning screen showed 2 Trojan viruses on board. Both appeared to be in Time machine backups with 2 dates, i.e. 2010-11-01 and 2011-05-30. Should I disconnect Time Machine or try and delete it and restart backups. A short scan of computer does not detect any virus which is why I think it lies in Time machine data.
With thanks,
pmb333

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What were the Trojans that BitDefender identified? The reason I'm asking is they may have been Windows Trojans embedded in email messages. If you wish, you can individually delete those two backups without removing the others.

OP
P
Reaction score
Trojan virus

Firstly chscag, Thankyou for your attention to my problem.
The Bitdefender list the viruses as
Trojan.Generic.6293357 and
Trojan.Generic.KDV.53557
Also said these 2 items could not be removed or quarantined.
Regards,
pmb333

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
They're both Windows related Trojans and I'm probably right in that they may have been picked up in email. They can't harm your Mac and regardless of what BitDefender stated, they can be removed. You can either erase the entire Time Machine drive and start over or as I said before, delete the two backups they were detected in.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hello chscag.
I am delighted with your response. Problem has been totally resolved. Once again I am very grateful for your help.
Regards.pmb33a
Adelaide
Australia

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.