I've looked all over for this answer. . .

Reaction score
I'm new to Macs, after being a longtime PC user. I am also a keyboard shortcut ADDICT. I've read a number of primers on switching to Mac to ease the transition, and I'm doing my best to learn to be proficient with the subtle differences. Of particular note is that I'm following the advice to let the Mac dictate things to me as much as possible at first, rather than trying to tell it how to do it's job at every turn. One example of this would be giving Safari a real chance (I've been a devoted Firefox guy for several years on PC). But one thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to use a keyboard shortcut to jump up into the URL editor in Safari. In Firefox and IE, this was and Alt-D command. I've found no translation to accomplish this via keyboard shortcut in Safari. Does anyone know if it can be done? I'd hate to forsake Safari over this, but believe it or not it may be a deal-breaker. If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it!!!

Thanks!

Reed

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just tried Command D, Option D ETC in Firefox on the Mac. No Editor comes up. Command D brings up a Bookmark save in both Safari and Firefox. Will check around and see what I can find.

I just checked a listing of all Firefox Hotkeys. What do you mean by URL Editor?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
cmd-L works in both Firefox and Safari.

The things you learn when you weren't really looking :)

C

chas_m

I find it surprising that a shortcut in Firefox would not be the same* (*barring the different modifer key) under both Windows and Mac, but there you go.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks Crandon - you're my hero!

Follow up since you guys obviously rock - is there a way to pull down the bookmarks menu so bookmarks can be selected via the arrow keys and then enter? On Firefox (PC) it could be done with Alt-B. . .

Reaction score
Bookmarks menu - don't know;
Sidebar (same thing) - command-B.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
Often times if you substitute the command key for the control key used in windows it will work. Works with cut and past as well.

OP
T
Reaction score
Often times if you substitute the command key for the control key used in windows it will work. Works with cut and past as well.
It's actually an Alt-B command in Firefox PC. It works in that environment because usually when you depress the alt key in a program in Windows one of the letter from each of the headings in the menu bar will become underlined, allowing you to press that letter and bring down that drop-down menu. I can't find a comparable function in Safari, which I guess means that if I want to choose a bookmark to navigate to, I have no choice but to use the mouse. I know this doesn't seem like a big deal to 99% of people, but if there's a way to do it (as was so quickly identified for my original question) I'd sure like to know how!!!

Either way, I appreciate everyone's help:)

Reed

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Closest I can come so far is Command+Alt(Option)+B which opens the whole bookmark folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Try command-L

I like that! I'm always curious about keyboard shortcuts to keep my hands in place on the keyboard. Not that I'm so pressed for time or anything, just curious about how things can be done without a mouse or trackpad. Makes me feel "old school". ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.