iPhoto Gray Triangle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", OS 10.11.6, 2.7 GHz, Intel Core i5, 12 GB, 1333 MHz, DDR3; iPhone 6, 16 GB, iPad mini
When I try to view some of my photos from their thumbnails, I get a gray triangle with an exclamation point in it. I hope these photos aren't lost? Any suggestions? Thanks

Screen Shot 2012-02-25 at 8.33.51 AM.png

C

chas_m

It means iPhoto can't find the full-scale image that was tied to the thumbnail. This is nearly always the result of people messing around in the iPhoto Library file directly when they really, really, shouldn't do that.

Without knowing what you might have done, it's hard to suggest anything. If you are absolutely 100 percent sure you have never messed with the iPhoto Library package, you might try restarting iPhoto with the command and option keys held down, which will bring up a repair dialogue. Check every option and give it time to do its thing. That might help.

If you've been moving "originals" around or out of the iPhoto Library file, then you've messed up the database and much more extensive repair work will need to be done to fix things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Could also be caused when you have not actually imported photos into iPhoto and then moved the location of the originals as iPhoto will be looking in the original location for them.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", OS 10.11.6, 2.7 GHz, Intel Core i5, 12 GB, 1333 MHz, DDR3; iPhone 6, 16 GB, iPad mini
Thanks Sawday & chas_m, I think I found the problem → It's called Photoshop Elements. Apparently if you "Save" your edits instead of "Save as" it causes the problems. I can't say enough trash about PSE. The Organizer is an abomination and now this. I rue the day I bought PSE 10. I'm thinking of going to Aperture...any advice?

C

chas_m

What a shame -- PSE 6 (which is what I have) is a joy to use (though I also have regular Photoshop so I don't need PSE very often!). I have heard from others about the so-called "Organizer." :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Thanks Sawday & chas_m, I think I found the problem → It's called Photoshop Elements. Apparently if you "Save" your edits instead of "Save as" it causes the problems. I can't say enough trash about PSE. The Organizer is an abomination and now this. I rue the day I bought PSE 10. I'm thinking of going to Aperture...any advice?

But if you are running iPhoto why do you need another organiser?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.