desk top question

Reaction score
Im still very new to this mbp. Does anyone know if there is a setting that will stop documents from automatically being saved to the Desk top? My desk top is cluttered. :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Nothing should be automatically saving to your desktop.

The next time you go to save something, try doing a "Save As" and choosing your Documents folder. I wonder if it's just a case of your applications defaulting to the last save location, which happened to be the desktop - and out of habit, you're just clicking "Save" without specifying the directory.

OP
L
Reaction score
desktop question

Thank you for your reply as this is a mystery. In the last month that I have had my mbp I have "saved as" many times. I have never "saved as" to the desk top. Yet, files continue to be saved to the desktop. I have looked all over for some kind of preference setting. Thanks for any help you might have to offer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which files are being saved to your desktop? Can you identify the program or programs that they originated from?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
There's a black arrowhead in the blue box next to the name of the file in the SaveAs dialog window. If it's pointing down, what does it say on the Where: line? Now click the arrowhead to make it point up. This will expand the options in the dialog box, and allow you to navigate around in your folders.

OP
L
Reaction score
desktop question

Thank you toMACsh, Your reply might be the answer the the saving to the desktop problem. little silver

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.