What is The Best Beat/music production soft wear?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in MacBook Pro 2.8ghz i7 8gb ram, iphone 3gs 16gb, iphone 4 32gb, iphone 4s 32gb, Apple tv 3rd gen
Im looking to star making music on my MacBook Pro and i do not want to use garage band.
so what would you guys say is the best music production soft wear out there for a mac?

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in MacBook Pro 2.8ghz i7 8gb ram, iphone 3gs 16gb, iphone 4 32gb, iphone 4s 32gb, Apple tv 3rd gen
]Im looking to start making music on my MacBook Pro and i do not want to use garage band.
so what would you guys say is the best music production soft wear out there for a mac?

C

chas_m

Just for future reference: "software"

Anyway, I'm not an expert on this so my opinion is probably worth little, but I do have a lot of musician friends ranging from local bands to the guys that scored that commercial or movie trailer you like.

From them, I get the impression that Pro Tools is still the king of the mountain, and that Logic Pro is an excellent but somewhat smaller-scale product. Others will have differing opinions I am sure. :)

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
To me, Logic is generally a creation tool, and Pro Tools takes that creation and makes it sound nice.

Bear in mind, both programs have a steep learning curve.

Ves

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, Late 2011
Take a look at software like Fuityloops, Ableton Live amd Reason. If you have the cash definitely take a look at Machine from Native Instruments.

Reaction score
Been Producing for some years now. I produce House Music. I highly suggest using Ableton Live, its the easiest DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) to use in my eyes. The main ones out there are Propellerheads Reason, Ableton, Fruity Loops, Cubase and Logic. Out of the five most producers either use Logic or Ableton (especially with house, trance, electro, techno). Reason is very good, but can be complicated to a beginning producer. I notice alot of hip-hop producers use this software. I use it sometimes by rewiring it to Ableton as a plug-in. Using DAWs is all up to your preference. Also with your DAW you are going to need some Plug-Ins cause the sounds these daws come with our weak. You'll see as you go on. I'm going to post some links here for best plugins. But my professional opinion would be buy Apple's Logic or Ableton Live + Native Instruments Komplete 8. Comes with such a huge library of plugins including everything; synths, drums, guitars, brass, strings etc. This project is going to take alot of time and a decent amount of money. Ableton is like $500, Komplete 8 $500, plus you really will want a USB keyboard I suggest M-Audio. You can pick up a 25 key for like $100. So at least $1100, but its worth the fun adventure.

Ableton - Homepage

KOMPLETE 8 | NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : PRODUCER

The 20 best VST plug-in synths in the world today | MusicRadar.com

Reaction score
I'd also make sure that your software or files can also be used on iPads or iPhones. Convenient. Most of the better programs allow this or will.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.