Macbook Air not recognizing my usb mouse

Reaction score
Help!

My Mac OSX 10.6.8 is so fickle. At times my mouse will work properly and then suddenly without provocation the mouse will not work. Usually my mouse will turn back on in a few minutes but other times I make do without it. When the mouse isn't working the red light on it is not on and my system preference settings doesn't recognize the mouse. I've tried switching the usb ports but it doesn't make a difference. Don't know what to do guys.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First thing would be to try another USB mouse. Could be that your mouse is defective or intermittent. What kind is it?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response! I've tried another mouse and it worked just fine but sometimes my regular mouse works fine too. The mouse I use is Belkin.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If it's an optical mouse, the receptor may be dirty. My Apple Mighty Mouse required cleaning every so often as it was doing the same thing. Try cleaning the Belkin to see if it helps. I'm not familiar with that mouse but most optical rodents need to be disassembled in order to properly clean them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.