• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Proview Sues Apple in U.S. Over Alleged Deception in iPad Trademark Purchase

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
In its filing, Proview alleged lawyers for IPAD repeatedly said it would not be competing with the Chinese firm, and refused to say why they needed the trademark.

Those representations were made "with the intent to defraud and induce the plaintiffs to enter into the agreement," Proview said in the filing dated February 17, requesting an unspecified amount of damages.

They were happy to sell the name to a random company, but I guess they realized they could've gotten a lot more out of the name knowing it was Apple purchasing it. I call this doesn't last more than a week in the court systems.
Also, they could've just declined the deal from the beginning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

They were happy to sell the name to a random company, but I guess they realized they could've gotten a lot more out of the name knowing it was Apple purchasing it. I call this doesn't last more than a week in the court systems.
Also, they could've just declined the deal from the beginning.

On the other hand, Proview also claims that the deal they made never included the rights in China. The verdict on that part has varied from judge to judge so far in Chinese courts, so Apple's status in that regard seems iffy. Proview really should have done this earlier, back when the most recent ruling was in their favor and precedent would have been on their side.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Only in Proviews hometown have the Chinese local courts favored them, as I'm sure you also know. What is really confusing is how they waited SO long - to a time of them going bankrupt, to finally sue for something that should've been apparent from the get-go. I wouldn't be surprised if their next claim stated that they are going bankrupt because of what Apple has done to them.

Reaction score
This is an interesting case of the effect of international corporations with powerful brands. If Proview had known that a company like Apple was buying their trademark, they might have understood that that trademark's use would become so pervasive as to interfere with markets even where rights were [allegedly] reserved, and thus structured their agreements differently.

I really wonder how this case will shake out in the end...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.