• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Help Writing Business Proposal for a Mac

Reaction score
Hi. I apologize for the length of this post in advance, but I figure if I'm asking for help I might as well provide as much information as possible.

I'm writing a proposal on way my PC-centric organization should purchase me an iMac and I am hoping for help. Quick back story: Before I was hired, I was asked by my prospective boss what I would prefer to work on, PC or Mac. I said far and away what I was most comfortable and productive on was a Mac. She said OK. I then got the job. Where, again in the two weeks before I started, she asked what I'd be most comfortable working on. Again, I said if she wants me to be doing some design work and video editing, then I would need a Mac. Of course, as I'm sure you all see coming by now, I had an HP ProBook waiting for me when I started.

Now, seven months later, they agree that we need to create more content (video) to promote our organization. I wrote up some prices of what it'd cost to get me an iMac, CS5.5, etc. I handed that to my VP and she said, "this is good, but we need to list reasons why you need it to get it approved."

Well... in my mind, the reasons are "I know how t use iMovie & FC Pro. Those are on a Mac. I've said all along I need a Mac. So let's get m a Mac." However, I know this won't be viewed as a great argument to others who think, "what's the big difference. If you can do it on a Mac, you can do it on a PC."

I don't want to make it sound like they're just satisfying my personal preference. However, I honestly do think having experience, familiarity with one type of machine/software is a real world benefit -- not some made-up excuse. Working on a PC HAS slowed me down. And learning new PC-based applications would cost time and money.

Does any one have any advice for how to beef this proposal up? So far my argument is "iMove/Final Cut Pro." I'm kind of at a loss when trying to put the above factors into "business proposal" language. I'm also at a loss when it comes to the specs of getting a mac.

Thanks in advance.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi. I apologize for the length of this post in advance, but I figure if I'm asking for help I might as well provide as much information as possible.

I'm writing a proposal on way my PC-centric organization should purchase me an iMac and I am hoping for help. Quick back story: Before I was hired, I was asked by my prospective boss what I would prefer to work on, PC or Mac. I said far and away what I was most comfortable and productive on was a Mac. She said OK. I then got the job. Where, again in the two weeks before I started, she asked what I'd be most comfortable working on. Again, I said if she wants me to be doing some design work and video editing, then I would need a Mac. Of course, as I'm sure you all see coming by now, I had an HP ProBook waiting for me when I started.

Now, seven months later, they agree that we need to create more content (video) to promote our organization. I wrote up some prices of what it'd cost to get me an iMac, CS5.5, etc. I handed that to my VP and she said, "this is good, but we need to list reasons why you need it to get it approved."

Well... in my mind, the reasons are "I know how t use iMovie & FC Pro. Those are on a Mac. I've said all along I need a Mac. So let's get m a Mac." However, I know this won't be viewed as a great argument to others who think, "what's the big difference. If you can do it on a Mac, you can do it on a PC."

I don't want to make it sound like they're just satisfying my personal preference. However, I honestly do think having experience, familiarity with one type of machine/software is a real world benefit -- not some made-up excuse. Working on a PC HAS slowed me down. And learning new PC-based applications would cost time and money.

Does any one have any advice for how to beef this proposal up? So far my argument is "iMove/Final Cut Pro." I'm kind of at a loss when trying to put the above factors into "business proposal" language. I'm also at a loss when it comes to the specs of getting a mac.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
It will also be dependent on how large the company is, if there are some other design people there as well and what are they on. The difference in price, the bottom line, is major for companies right now. We fight it on a daily basis.

CS5 is on the Windows side as well.
Sony Vegas is a very viable alternative for FCP (it is what I have used before, but am now on a MBP with FCP.)

There is a very real possibility that, if you press too hard, they will look for someone who can do everything on existing equipment. You are coming into intern season...

As to your "cost in time for learning" that is what we call fuzzy dollars, where as the cost of a machine and software are hard dollars.

Again, no info on the company leaves me guessing and wondering as to where their priorities are.

And, this is not a slight against you, but in 7 months, you could not have picked up the shortcuts and use of the common applications? I moved from Vegas to FCPx in a matter of a couple weeks when a friend of mine handed me a bunch of footage from a webseries he is shooting and said "make this video". The differences, once you get the interface, are pretty easy - the functionality is there, you just have to recognize it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Organization is around 110 employees. And there is no real possibility that they'll go find someone else. It's not that type of situation at all.

And yes, I know there are programs that will do the same thing and run on a PC. However, we will need to invest in them as well. I am trying to make the point that since we are going to have to invest in something, we might as well invest in what the people who will be using it prefer. (Also might be helpful to know that we're buying another computer no matter what. Just a question of Mac or PC. If Mac, I get it and my PC goes to another employee. If PC, the other employee gets it and I keep mine PC.) However, I was wondering if the board had any suggestions on how to make that "fuzzy dollars" argument more concrete.

And, not that it's the discussion that I want to have, but yes... I've learned the shortcuts and work just fine. (That kind of was a presumed slight against me.) However, new stuff pops up that I've done a million times before on a mac/mac software that I haven't yet done on a pc/pc software. And when those things pop up it just takes more time. I'm not talking hours or days, just time. It's not like I'm doing the same three things day-in and day-out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Honestly, 110 employees is not that large, which makes me think they are watching every penny that is being spent, and every penny has to be justified and accounted for. I still dont know what kind of shop it is, so still in the dark. Without those details, it is very hard to make justification arguments for "fuzzy" money.

OP
M
Reaction score
It's a multi-million dollar operation. We're a well run organization and are not frivolous, but we aren't counting our pennies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what does it do? Again, still small. I work for a 50k+ world-wide company that covers hr consulting, insurance brokering, IT, retirement planning and benefit packages with some of our smaller customers being GM, Coke, Yum...

Without knowing ANYTHING about a company, how is anyone going to be able to give valid reasons to spend quite a bit more per device than the rest of the company currently spends per device? You are the one asking for help, but we need more info...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why cant you give even the slightest hint at what the company does? Are you ashamed?

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm very proud of the organization I work for. I just think I've wasted my time engaging. I'm not looking to have someone write the report for me. I just wanted some high-level thoughts. Thanks anyways. Take care.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Writing proposals to justify spending money requires information about who is getting the proposals and the workings of the business and group. I write proposals for IT nearly every day to justify who gets what why. I have to know a lot about who I am writing for and to in order to have it passed through finance and approved.

Good luck...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm writing a proposal on way my PC-centric organization should purchase me an iMac and I am hoping for help. Quick back story: Before I was hired, I was asked by my prospective boss what I would prefer to work on, PC or Mac. I said far and away what I was most comfortable and productive on was a Mac. She said OK. I then got the job. Where, again in the two weeks before I started, she asked what I'd be most comfortable working on. Again, I said if she wants me to be doing some design work and video editing, then I would need a Mac.

Honestly...this topic borders on the "Mac vs. PC" topic that we get around here frequently...and there's really not an easy answer.

Basically...to satisfy your company's purchasing department that buying a Mac is a solid idea (if that's what this proposal is meant to do). Then you have to focus on things that ONLY a Macintosh can do...and a Windows computer cannot (which is not a very easy thing to do).

Also consider this (since this is a small company). Maybe this proposal document is really only a paperwork exercise. Maybe (regardless of what you write)...you will still get the Mac computer. Since your manager doesn't seem to have a problem getting it...and assuming the expense comes out of your managers budget.

This proposal may just be needed to "satisfy" company policy regarding purchases. So I would clarify with your manager if:

- this document is actually needed to justify this purpose
- or if it is just a "required step" in company procedure...and no matter what you write...you will still get the computer

Good luck,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I suggest you answer the following questions:
Who are your stakeholders in your organisation, who are the people you need to present your business case to ?
What is the IT Strategy of your company ....is IT a revenue generator or a cost centre ?
When you introduce Mac's in your organisation, can your IT function support them .... do they have the knowledge ?

Work in detail on the financials with a 3-5 year horizon, identify the cost of hardware, software, installation, training, maintenance and support.

To be honest, if you were the only person asking for a Mac and Mac's are not part of the company IT strategy, there is no way I would approve that purchase.
And that is simple economics.

Cheers ... McBie

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not cross post and also observe the correct forum to place your thread in. It was moved here to the "Lounge" as it is off topic for the other two forums you attempted to post it in.

Your cross post was merged here and removed from the other forum.

Reaction score
Honestly, 110 employees is not that large, which makes me think they are watching every penny that is being spent, and every penny has to be justified and accounted for. I still dont know what kind of shop it is, so still in the dark. Without those details, it is very hard to make justification arguments for "fuzzy" money.

+1

Becareful how far you push this....it might be cheaper for them to pay someone who will do the work on a PC instead of spending the cash for a mac for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm of the opinion that if you want to make someone buy a Mac, you should already know everything that is needed to be said for them to be convinced, especially if they are going to foot the bill.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Well, as you can't really justify your request with a software-based argument (as it is possible to do anything you would ever do on a Mac on a PC - the issue of whether it's easier on a Mac isn't relevant when they're looking to minimise costs, so long as it can be done) the best argument would probably be from the hardware side, i.e. "You'll need to replace this computer one day anyway, and if you buy a Mac now it will break down less often and probably last longer than the PC you would buy after this one would have; and it's not like we'd need to get rid of the old PC anyway, so it could remain as a spare."

However, from the - frankly - kinda sulky seeming reaction you showed when you didn't immediately get the answer you were looking for here, I do wonder if one of your problems may be more in the area of diplomacy. If your requests are coming across more like demands to people who you are trying to get to spend their money - not yours - they may well dig-in their heels on principle.

Not having a go, just making an honest observation. Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Basically, in the current economic environment, it is not about getting what you want but getting what you need to get the job done.
Companies put all their money behind the brands, and management is not keen to put that money behind some nice shiny computing device, because that is what it is right .... a computing device.
Simple economics.
If the OP is not getting that ( and I can understand some disappointment ) then he has an attitude problem.

My 2 cents.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And you can be sure the IT Department or Manager will be dead set against having one Mac in the company's set up. Not even worth pursuing one suggests.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.