Help, I hate my new Macbook Pro!

Reaction score
Okay, first off, confession: I am not actually a new Mac user. I've been a Mac user for a looooong time. But I am so clueless with Lion that most of my questions are of the noob variety, so I figured this was the best location for my post.

I am TRYING to replace my old Macbook (from 2007) with this snazzy new Macbook Pro. I say "trying" because I'm a week and a half in and still using the old computer for everything.

I used Migration Assistant, just as I have always done in the past. However, this time it created a new user account on the computer and dumped everything in there. Now I cannot access any of my files unless I log into the OldComputer user account. A fat lot of good that does me.

Applications are available from both accounts, not that that helps me, as none of my antiquated software will run on the new machine anyway. I cannot afford to buy a new copy of Photoshop! My old copy was OLD, but it was doing the job just fine. And now I cannot use it at all??? Booooooo!

I managed to move my iTunes library over by dropping it from the OldComputer user folder into the NewComputer user folder and then importing it. I lost all of my Playlists, though, and I have no idea how to import those.

I used the same technique for moving my photos - I copied my iPhoto library into the NewComputer user folder and imported. iPhoto imported 50,000 photos (not exaggerating), including thousands of pictures I had deleted years ago. Currently I cannot shut down, because when I tried to quit iPhoto, it decided it needed to update the library, and it is now "updating" 597,580 files. No idea where that many files are coming from!!! I do not want all of these photos! Why does Apple insist on keeping 72 copies of every picture that ever comes across my computer? If I tell you to delete it, kindly do so! If iPhoto ever stops "updating," I assume I will have to manually delete all of these photos AGAIN. And they will STILL be hiding somewhere. Is there no way to PERMANENTLY delete a photo from iPhoto??

Mail is a nightmare, too. I cannot even use this 1200 euro computer to check my email! Every time I try to add my gmail account, it imports 57,429 messages (I assume that is every message ever sent or received). Which again bogs down the computer until it is incapable of functioning. I think I found the solution to this problem on a forum post I searched out earlier, but I cannot test the theory as iPhoto is clogging up my system so much right now I don't dare open Mail.

I tried getting my bookmarks by using the export technique for Google chrome, and moving the resulting .html file over in the same way I moved the photos and music. But when I tried importing it on the NewComputer side of the petition, it was deemed unreadable by both Safari and Google Chrome itself.

I am worried that all my messy muddling is going to fill up the hard drive with tons of useless crap, and I worry I will never get this new computer up and running as a replacement to the old one. I purchased this from an authorized reseller here in Belgium, but there are no actual Apple stores with Genius Bars, or I'd be there! Any advice would be appreciated, this thing is a very expensive door stop right now, and I am so frustrated I am in tears!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Without reading all of your long long post (and just replying to your thread title)...I'm sorry that you're not happy with your new MacBook Pro.

Fortunately we have actually had 3-4 folks recently post threads completely to the opposite...that they LOVE their new MacBook Pro's!:)

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Applications are available from both accounts, not that that helps me, as none of my antiquated software will run on the new machine anyway. I cannot afford to buy a new copy of Photoshop! My old copy was OLD, but it was doing the job just fine. And now I cannot use it at all??? Booooooo!
Tis the cost of progress. Apple dropped PowerPC support and arguably, this was the right choice (I'm guessing that the version you're using is a PPC version). The switch to Intel processors was finished nearly 5.5 years ago and at some point, the old has to replaced with the new. Listen, I can sympathize with the cost dynamic of this problem but you can't delay the inevitable.

I managed to move my iTunes library over by dropping it from the OldComputer user folder into the NewComputer user folder and then importing it. I lost all of my Playlists, though, and I have no idea how to import those.
Read this.

I used the same technique for moving my photos - I copied my iPhoto library into the NewComputer user folder and imported. iPhoto imported 50,000 photos (not exaggerating), including thousands of pictures I had deleted years ago. Currently I cannot shut down, because when I tried to quit iPhoto, it decided it needed to update the library, and it is now "updating" 597,580 files. No idea where that many files are coming from!!! I do not want all of these photos! Why does Apple insist on keeping 72 copies of every picture that ever comes across my computer? If I tell you to delete it, kindly do so! If iPhoto ever stops "updating," I assume I will have to manually delete all of these photos AGAIN. And they will STILL be hiding somewhere. Is there no way to PERMANENTLY delete a photo from iPhoto??
I don't use iPhoto but I get the feeling that when you remove it from iPhoto, it doesn't actually delete the file. And yes, it creates copies of pictures when you edit them which allows you to revert to earlier states.

Mail is a nightmare, too. I cannot even use this 1200 euro computer to check my email! Every time I try to add my gmail account, it imports 57,429 messages (I assume that is every message ever sent or received). Which again bogs down the computer until it is incapable of functioning. I think I found the solution to this problem on a forum post I searched out earlier, but I cannot test the theory as iPhoto is clogging up my system so much right now I don't dare open Mail.
If you're using IMAP (which is the default if you had Mail setup your GMail account, this shouldn't be an issue. If however, you have a large mailbox and you setup Mail to access GMail through POP, you're in for a wait.

I tried getting my bookmarks by using the export technique for Google chrome, and moving the resulting .html file over in the same way I moved the photos and music. But when I tried importing it on the NewComputer side of the petition, it was deemed unreadable by both Safari and Google Chrome itself.
Not sure why this is - this should work without fault. Any error messages?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Migration Assistant is not always the best solution to move data from an older Mac to a new one. Generally, Time Machine works best as it does not create a new account and cause the confusion you're undergoing.

As for older software not running - you've been around Apple long enough to know and understand that. Enough said there. If you have to, dual boot to an older version of OS X in order to use your PPC and older software. Lots of folks are doing just that.

Boot to your Recovery Partition, erase the drive, and reinstall Lion. Then use Time Machine to migrate everything over from the 2007 MacBook.

I recently purchased a new 2011 iMac and used Time Machine to migrate all my data and programs from an older 2008 MacBook. It never skipped a beat, easiest migration I have ever done. (And yes, I had some older programs that would not run after the migration.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
+1 what chscag said. Just reinstall your OS on the the new computer. Run TM on the old, use TM to migrate to the new. Should be painless.

OP
C
Reaction score
Alright, I forgot that tone and emotions are hard to read on a written post. I do not actually hate my Macbook, I am beyond excited to have it. But I am extremely frustrated and in desperate need of help in getting it to a point where I can actually use it for something. My husband gave me a hard time about how much it cost, and now its proving to be difficult to get going on.

As for the old applications not working, I do understand that that's "the cost of progress." And the problem was largely that I hadn't really thought about it being an issue, which was my own stupidity. However, I'm saddened that there isn't some sort of "helper" program I can run that would allow me to run older programs without reverting entirely to the old OS. We cannot afford to replace my software right now, so I'm frustrated. Anyone have any good Open Source software to recc'd? Particularly interested in a Photoshop like program, as I just spent months teaching myself PS.

The email issue was resolved, thankfully. I found a post about it here, and it was as simple as changing my preferences within Gmail to tell it not to download more than a 1000 messages. I am using IMAP, by the way, and it was still an issue. Now if I can just learn to navigate the new Mail, I'm good to go with email! I need to find the post again so I can thank the authors!

My iPhoto library is still a mess. It has more than 50,000 items, including multiple copies of pictures and thousands of pictures I'd deleted altogether. It will take me months to sort it out, and the program is slow in the meantime. I love iPhoto, so this is especially frustrating.

Question about the method I am using: If I move stuff over in the manner I described, can I then delete it from the NewComputer user folder once its been imported? At this point I have three copies of everything, lol!

I will check out the link about the iTunes migration, thank you.

As for the bookmarks issue, both Chrome and Safari said something to the effect of, "Cannot read this file." I tried twice. I'm open to suggestions on this, too! I miss my bookmarks!

I am sorry to have annoyed so many by being so upset. This has been ridiculously frustrating for me, and I'm feeling like my old friend Mac has let me down.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you, vansmith! That article helped with the iTunes issue - I already had the file I needed moved over, but that article helped me find it and import it. My quirky playlists are up and running! I appreciate it!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do not actually hate my Macbook, I am beyond excited to have it.

Great to hear that you actually DON'T hate your MacBook Pro!:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
I still hate that its giving my husband "I told you so" powers, though. :) He still thinks I should have bought a PC!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Not sure where you're located countrywise or whether you're near an Apple store but certainly in the UK if you buy a New Mac they'll do the migration for you if you ask them.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I still hate that its giving my husband "I told you so" powers, though. :) He still thinks I should have bought a PC!

Yeah...this is a tough one. I can understand where he's coming from...but when it comes to Macintosh vs. Windows computers...it's really MUCH MORE than just the price tag!!!:)

For me it's kind of like the difference between a single scoop ice-cream cone...and a Banana Spilt. Sure...the single scoop ice cream cone will satisfy the ice cream urge...and has a much lower cost...but the Banana Split is so MUCH BETTER!!!;)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm an American living in Belgium, mrplow. No Apple stores here, or at least not anywhere near me. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro (Late 2011), i5, 2.4GHz, 4GB of Memory, 500GB HDD, backlit keyboards
Please don't feel bad for asking your questions. I am brand new to a Mac as in I just bought my first ever yesterday. I bought a MacBook Pro 13in. You're questions and the answers that followed are helping me out with a few things and educating me in the process. I have been in IT for 7 years so hopefully I will catch on quicker than others...but it's hard to not want to do things like I do on a PC. I am definitely liking it so far.

Reaction score
Going through the exact same frustrations

Hubby didn't want me to buy it... and now I'm totally stuck on set-up and transferring files. I HATE "the I told you so's" UGH REALLY can't wait to get this all done and dialed so later... I can show HIM

Reaction score
Cant even turn the **** thing OFF

It keeps chanting "Busy... Set UP assistant BUSY... Busy... Busy...."

For Real?!?! Cant even force quit "Busy Busy Busy"

I'm dying here

OP
C
Reaction score
LOL, ds3boys! Glad to find someone who knows where I am coming from!!! You'll get there! I am thiiiiiiiiiis close to solving all my issues. My iPhoto library is still an obnoxious mess, and I haven't found the perfect Photoshop replacement yet, but other than that, I'm up and running! I've had the computer for almost 2 weeks, but in all fairness, I was too busy until recently, and its only been two days of really focusing on the issues.

And when our Macs are dancing in circles around their PC's, who'll be laughing then?? :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
And when our Macs are dancing in circles around their PC's, who'll be laughing then?? :p
Friendly word of advice; playing-up to the - 99.999% of the time undeserved - stereotype of the obnoxious tech elitist that PC-only types hold about Mac users isn't going to help resolve the debate with your husband smoothly ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.