Advice on setting speaker set up

Reaction score
Wonder if any of you expert Mac guys out there can advise me? I've got Apple TV, IPhone 4 and IPad 2 all on a decent home network with an extended wifi range. I currently use my iPad to stream via AirPlay to my home cinema speakers via Apple TV. Works great for me. When I'm in the lounge. I want to work out the most cost effective way to install a decent sound system in the kitchen with great sound.

I've looked at AirPlay speakers - Philips do some nice ones, as do B&W, but seems an expensive option to me. Dont really understand if airport express would help me?

Can any one offer some great advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The Airport Express will let you connect any speakers you like, they just need a headphone jack. So you can get fancy looking ones, ones that sound great, cheap ones, whatever you like, instead of just Airplay speakers. The Express will make them Airplay speakers.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks Stretch.I guess this could be the answer. Though I'm not sure what this gives me over a set of airplay speakers. ie. could do the same thing, but no advantage. Costwise doesn't look much different between Airport Express+speakers and a specific airplay speaker looking at the quality I want.

Ref quality of sound – do you think there's any difference between using a simple headphone jack and an optical audio cable? What I mean is – an additional Apple TV is only another 28GBP and with that I would get optical audio (even if I'm not using it as a TV) - do you think it's worth the extra?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Airport Express has Optical Audio also. They share the port with the headphone jack.

OP
D
Reaction score
You're right though – the spec list DOES state optical. I just can't see how this works. Uses the mini-jack input?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, it has a mini jack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, ProTools HD, Digi 192
. Though I'm not sure what this gives me over a set of airplay speakers. ie. could do the same thing, but no advantage. Costwise doesn't look much different between Airport Express+speakers and a specific airplay speaker looking at the quality I want.

Ref quality of sound – do you think there's any difference between using a simple headphone jack and an optical audio cable? What I mean is – an additional Apple TV is only another 28GBP and with that I would get optical audio (even if I'm not using it as a TV) - do you think it's worth the extra?

The advantage of the air play speakers is that you can have them connected to itunes absolutely wirelessly. But with the airport express, it's only semi-wireless becuase you still need to have the airport within reach of the speakers (to connect the 8th inch audio cable).
In my opinion, the optical cable will only be noticed (for better quality) when using a set of high-end speakers. There are many low quality speakers out there that sucker people into buying them as a cheap optical option but the difference in the sound is minimal. If you aren't buying the high-end, really expensive, audio engineered speakers...I would just go with the 8th inch audio cable or regular airplay speakers.
Hopefully I helped with something!
Jmurr

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.