Fixing the self-assigned ip address error

Reaction score
I've read many threads regarding the dreaded self-assigned ip address issue affecting mac users. I have followed the step by step process of repowering my router, modem, and each of my computers in my household. I have tried to refresh the network preference tabs following the steps that other users have successfully managed to fix their problems. To no avail, everything that I have tried has failed to correct my problem.

I would appreciate any feedback that anyone would like to share, so that I can get back online with my iMac machine. Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

G Dobay2012;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OK. A self-assigned IP is simply a symptom of your iMac not being connected (or connected correctly) to a DHCP server - in your case your router.

Sorry if this is going over what you've done before but if you can post details of which iMac, router and how they are connected that'd be very helpful

OP
G
Reaction score
It is an iMac-Intel 10.6 Lion

the Router and Switchbox- Both are Netgear

Lan connection to internet. (Lan modem is connected directly to the router.

The following items are connected to the ethernet router:

2 Windows based computers and my iMac

Playstation, Wii, and Xbox

4 directv receiver boxes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
So you're Mac is connected by Ethernet cable to the router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Netgear routers allow a specific IP address to be allocated to a device. If you do that you'll be sure you're not getting an IP clash with another device. To do this you need to know the MAC address of the device. In this case the ethernet port on your iMac

1. Open System Preferences.
2. Click Network at the top portion of the window.
3. Click Ethernet on the left.
4. Click the Advanced button.
5. Click the Ethernet tab. Next to Ethernet ID is the MAC address.
6. Make a note of the address

Look for the MAC address noted above and give it an IP address of 192.168.0.100
This will keep it well away from all your other devices.

Now, restart the router and see if you get a stable internet connection

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.