External drive format change?

Reaction score
So my external hard drive was fine for my pc but now that I am Mac I can't do anything but read my files. I was wondering if Fat32 was the format i'm supposed to go for, or MSDOS(fat) in the disc utility. Can I take all my files off my fathers pc and put them back on my newly formatted external drive afterwards with no problem? Also I've heard Fat32 is only temporary and after time they have file corruption problems, can anyone explain that to me? Is it safe to do this for at least a year or two? TY in advance:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
FAT-32 allows both your PC and Mac to read - write to the drive. Keep in mind that FAT-32 has a file size limit of around 4 GB and is a non journaled file system. A non journaled file system is more susceptible to corruption than one that is journaled.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.