• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Guys/Girls, I need HELP! Files won't import to iMovie!!! Please read...

Reaction score
I ripped 50 home movied DVDs via Handbrake. Each ripped file is about 2GB, is in H.264 codec and .M4V format. EVERY SINGLE ONE of the files is in the exact same format and ALL open up in Quicktime. I am using a MacBook Pro with Lion OS and iMovie '11. All software is up to date. Here are my issues:

- Some files import to iMovie just fine. Some go through the import process and then magically never show up in the Events folder. It's almost like the files just disappear!
- I tried putting the files in the iMovie Drop Box and it didn't work.
- I tried converting them via "Smart Converter" and that didn't work.

Has anyone had this issue before? I am trying to put a compilation together of the last 10 years of how movies of our children for my wife before she goes into the hospital for a major surgery.

On another note, do you think I would have better luck with Final Cut Pro X? There is a free 30 day trial...

Thanks,

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.