windows on a mac

Reaction score
Can I run windows on a mac?
This has to be the most common question a mac user seems to ask, as their employer's website only supports windows/internet explorer users. Safari works but has issues, and wont do everything. Would IE be the best option?
Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Can I run windows on a mac?
This has to be the most common question a mac user seems to ask, as their employer's website only supports windows/internet explorer users. Safari works but has issues, and wont do everything. Would IE be the best option?
Thank you.

All Macs made since the transition to Intel CPUs in 2006 will run Windows natively. You can even run Windows "in a window" by using a virtual machine like Parallels, Fusion, or VirtualBox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Windows on my Mac

Lots more information is available here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ru...4239-running-windows-mac-switchers-guide.html

And if it's just IE you need, Wine Bottler can run IE7 without bothering with Windows at all...

WineBottler - Run Windows Programs directly on OS X
When I got my first iMac in May 2010 I used Bootcamp to install Windows 'cos I needed it to run my Fujitsu scanner. That iMac failed after 3 months and was replaced by Apple under warranty. I didn't bother with installing Bootcamp with the new iMac but decided to reformat the hard drive on the old PC, reinstall Windows XP and use it for the scanner and a music programme that only works on Windows.

Forgive my ignorance but what is IE/IE7? Will Wine Bottler do the job?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
When I got my first iMac in May 2010 I used Bootcamp to install Windows 'cos I needed it to run my Fujitsu scanner. That iMac failed after 3 months and was replaced by Apple under warranty. I didn't bother with installing Bootcamp with the new iMac but decided to reformat the hard drive on the old PC, reinstall Windows XP and use it for the scanner and a music programme that only works on Windows.

Forgive my ignorance but what is IE/IE7? Will Wine Bottler do the job?

IE = Internet Explorer.

Yes, Wine Bottler can run IE7 reliably, IE8 is still a work-in-progress.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I got my first iMac in May 2010 I used Bootcamp to install Windows 'cos I needed it to run my Fujitsu scanner.

Mind if I ask which scanner it is? It's highly likely it would work under Mac OS X, but may need a 3rd party tool like VueScan.

As for your music software, mind if I ask what that is and what your needs of it are? It too may run under WINE, or there may simply be something else that works just as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wine Bottler

IE = Internet Explorer.

Yes, Wine Bottler can run IE7 reliably, IE8 is still a work-in-progress.

Of course! Do you know how it works and what, if any, effect it will have on the Mac OS if I do install it? If I'm not satisfied I presumably just delete it from the Applications Folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mind if I ask which scanner it is? It's highly likely it would work under Mac OS X, but may need a 3rd party tool like VueScan.

It's a Fujitsu fi-4220C2, was top of range v fast duplex sheetfeed & flatbed scanner. So far the only driver for the Mac OS cost over $100.

As for your music software, mind if I ask what that is and what your needs of it are? It too may run under WINE, or there may simply be something else that works just as well.

It's called Noteworthy Composer.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of course! Do you know how it works and what, if any, effect it will have on the Mac OS if I do install it? If I'm not satisfied I presumably just delete it from the Applications Folder.

WINE is a tool that is used to run Windows applications in UNIX-like operating systems (this includes Mac OS X and Linux). It basically acts as a "translator", taking commands and repeating them in the native tongue of the host. (this is an overly simplified way of explaining it).

WINE Bottler is kind of neat - it has a bunch of pre-defined "bottles" and will not only package a Windows app up like a standard Mac app, but also download the software for you automatically.

So, when you run WINE Bottler, you can select a premade "bottle" - this case, IE7. It will download the software in the background, install it in the bottle and then place the bottle in your Applications folder.

Uninstalling it is as simple as dragging the application icon into the trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Thanks for the tip on WINE Bottler.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a Fujitsu fi-4220C2, was top of range v fast duplex sheetfeed & flatbed scanner. So far the only driver for the Mac OS cost over $100.

Hmmm… Fujitsu has Mac software, but it's old and looks like it won't run under Lion. VueScan may support it though. It's not free, but is a whole lot less than $100:
Download VueScan for Mac - Scanner software with advanced features. MacUpdate.com

It's called Noteworthy Composer.

Well I can tell you that this has been certified as Gold status (runs flawlessly) for running under Crossover, which is basically a more user-friendly version of WINE Bottler. Crossover isn't free though. But… if it will run this flawlessly under Crossover, it should with WINE Bottler also. You may just have to do a little extra work on your own.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm using the latest version of WINE and the bottler (1.2.3) and in addition to the info cwa107 gave, it can also be used to manually install some Windows programs. I've used it to install games and even an older version of MS Money.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm… Fujitsu has Mac software, but it's old and looks like it won't run under Lion. VueScan may support it though. It's not free, but is a whole lot less than $100:
Download VueScan for Mac - Scanner software with advanced features. MacUpdate.com

Another thing to note.... there's a lesser-known application on Mac OS X called "Image Capture". It can be used for a variety of image retrieval operations, but it was originally designed to work with TWAIN-compliant scanners (which is the bulk of scanners made over the past decade or so).

Before you go parting with your hard-earned cash, I'd highly recommend pulling up Image Capture, while your scanner is plugged in and see if it doesn't show under Devices (along the left side). If it does, feed it some paper and click 'Scan'.

I'd be willing to bet you a donut that it will scan from your Fujitsu with no need for any special driver.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.