• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Commodore help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4s 32GB IOS 5.0.1 / MBP 2011 2.2GHz intel i7 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, OSX 10.8
First sorry I havent been online for a while (working overtime a lot) and second I have a vary outdate, but yet cool, commodore pulse/4 it's haveing some video problems was wondering if any one knew how to or where to fix one

It turns on but no there is no video or audio I'm using the RF output when I turn on the power some white Noise with a block like pattern appears on the television screen it's not the cord or rf adapter it is the commodore it's self can any one help?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I own a Commodore Plus-4. I know little about the Plus-4 but have repaired many Commodore 64's.

This is a shot in the dark, but when I recently fired up my Commodore 64, it did exactly what your Plus-4 is doing. Video Chip was not seated in the socket. I would suggest taking it apart and look for any chips that are in sockets and re-seating them, Seen that 100's of times with the old Commodores.

Let me know what you find if you do!

OP
Z31daG33k
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4s 32GB IOS 5.0.1 / MBP 2011 2.2GHz intel i7 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, OSX 10.8
By re-searing you mean pull them out and put them back in right? Or should I also try to clean the connectors and sockets with isopropyl alcohol ?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
By re-searing you mean pull them out and put them back in right? Or should I also try to clean the connectors and sockets with isopropyl alcohol ?

You should be able to just press down firmly with your thumb until you hear it make a bit of a "crunching" noise - that's enough to reseat it.

Back in the day, it wasn't unheard of with socketed motherboards to have to pick up the entire unit and give it a bit of a "twist" to reseat all of the chips. This used to be affectionately known as "The Atari Twist".

OP
Z31daG33k
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No did not work :( more info : power light does come on, fuse is fine, no exploded capacitors, no shorts, no audio, and video cycles through random patterns or white noise

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have found it necessary sometimes to actually pull the video chip and plug it back in. Socket dirty after sitting 10 years never used! :D

Either that or one chip died. Something a lot of Commodore 64's had happen. I used to have a stash of spare chips at one time.

OP
Z31daG33k
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After som searching online I found that the MOS 7360 IC in the computer MAY be bad any one know if one could be bought online somewhere and if so where? Agin it MAY be bad don't know for shure

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After som searching online I found that the TED 7360 IC in the computer MAY be bad any one know if one could be bought online somewhere and if so where? Agin it MAY be bad don't know for shure

For something like that, you're going to have to check eBay. You may even need to shop around for another Plus/4. That's kind of an oddball.

Not sure if the C=64 had that chip or if it was specific to the Plus/4 (AFAIK, the Plus/4 was just a C=64 with a bunch of add-ons in ROM).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For something like that, you're going to have to check eBay. You may even need to shop around for another Plus/4. That's kind of an oddball.

Not sure if the C=64 had that chip or if it was specific to the Plus/4 (AFAIK, the Plus/4 was just a C=64 with a bunch of add-ons in ROM).

Never mind, scratch that - looking on Wikipedia, the Plus/4, while superior in some ways, had an inferior video chip, the TED (the C=64 had the VIC-II, which had hardware sprites).

OP
Z31daG33k
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea figured they would be hard to come across now days... I could just do that get one off eBay and swop out the circets

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.