R/W file system for Lion on NTFS partition

Reaction score
Hi folks -
I want to install bootcamp (lion based) to have a native Windows 7 install on my Mac. I've done this once on a different Mac recently, so familiar with how to setup partitioning etc.

However, I have 100gb of documents, music, photos etc I want to share both when booting Mac or Windows. It seems like I need to have this in the Windows ntfs partition as Lion can see the volume - however, I was told this would be read only for the Lion boot. I've been told there is a few command lines or something that can make the NTFS volume read-write while booted in Lion.

I did some searches and read the FAQs and bootcamp docs, but don't see anywhere how to do this. This must be something folks ask for often? Any link to a thread or 'how to' would be great.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The ability to render NTFS as read and write from OS X has been removed in Lion because of instability. It was able to be turned on in Snow Leopard but was a bit unstable there also.

However, we recommend you install a third party driver from Paragon Software called "Paragon NTFS". Cost is $19.95 and well worth the price.

OP
K
Reaction score
ah ok -
Would you recommend this route then? Or going with keeping the main file system store in Lion and then reading/writing from Windows 7 into the LIon partition? I understand this is a 3rd party tool also? Any links for a recommendation would be great.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.