New To iMac

Reaction score
In a couple weeks I am getting a new imac. I have been using a walmart special 'emachines.'
I am curious about the initial setup for the imac. I'm using a wireless-g cable gateway modem/
router now and my question is: will this type of setup be necessary on my new emac?

Thanks,

Jim Halford

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm using a wireless-g cable gateway modem/
router now and my question is: will this type of setup be necessary on my new emac?

Certainly. That modem/router is how your internet signal is accessed in your home. You always need a modem/router in your home to get access to the internet.

Another question might be...do you have a wireless router?...since your new iMac will certainly be capable of wireless networking...and you may want to take advantage of that.:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
New to imac

My modem is a wireless modem/router from LINKSYS.

Jim Halford

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
My modem is a wireless modem/router from LINKSYS.

Jim Halford

I ran Linksys routers for years before switching to the Time Capsule/Airport Extreme Base Station. You shouldn't have any compatibility problems. Just make sure you are using WPA or WPA2 encryption.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 21.5" i5 iMac 2.7ghz 4gb ram 1tb HDD
Having had problems with routers and PS3 online gaming, I was dreading this part when purchasing my first iMac a few months ago.

Needless to say, the whole set up - including connecting to my router - was a piece of cake. I know nothing about tech talk, so Apple have designed the whole process with people like me in mind. I also took the advice here of using WPA2 security option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.