EXTREME IRRATION (host file) PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5-inch 2011. 2.5 GHz Intel Quad core i5, 12GB RAM, Lion 10.7.2
hey guys in need of help badly.
my brother came to stay with us (he lives out of town) he has been a long time mac user while i have really only just got my first mac anyways when he got here he said he would hep me install a lot of the programs he has and i would trade some of the ones i have (thats what brothers are for i guess) after an hour or so of loooong installation after installation and typing serial codes we were nearly done. i decided that i would shower while he finished up installing my copy of logic onto his macbook. after i returned i discovered that he had installed a pirated version of CS5 on to my imac (im VERY anti piracy) he claimed that if i had returned moments later i wouldnt of witnessed it and wouldnt of known any different and i was going a little ott.
how ever i demanded he removed it which he has done BUT he had to use something called 'Adobe activation blocker' which i we can seem to remove, researching on this matter has revieled that if i ever choice to buy CS5 in the near future the edited HOST files will stop the activation on the REAL version. i hardly get to see my brother anymore and would like to enjoy his stay without secretly hating on him for ruining my precious machine lol. cant anyone please help me to remove.edit my host file and or remove this annoying blocker from my mac

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

You do realise you only waited 45 minutes for a reply? Different time zones come into effect here - and right now is the quiet period. This forum is busiest when the guys over in the US are awake.

And also, please note, that this forum consists of volunteers from around the world. Yes, volunteers. We are not paid support technicians, we are a community of like minded people who like to help other users to solve problems. Please take this into account before complaining that we didn't help you straight away.

That being said, thank you for posting the solution, as it may help someone else sort out a similar problem in the future.

OP
c0tcha
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5-inch 2011. 2.5 GHz Intel Quad core i5, 12GB RAM, Lion 10.7.2
in 45 mins i had 200 views and not one reply. its not just THIS thread i am remarking on. forums these days are in a sorry state. it used to be full of helpful amazing people that would do nearly anything to help you out (mainly due to wanting to look like they knew what they were on about as much as they are trying to help) now they mainly (i dont just mean this forum) are full of people that like to try and make you feel stupid for either not knowing what to do to fix the problem you have OR because you have bad punctuation etc etc this being said there are the occasional members that still blow me away with their knowledge and willingness to help out complete strangers. thanks for your reply :p

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
in 45 mins i had 200 views and not one reply. its not just THIS thread i am remarking on. forums these days are in a sorry state. it used to be full of helpful amazing people that would do nearly anything to help you out (mainly due to wanting to look like they knew what they were on about as much as they are trying to help) now they mainly (i dont just mean this forum) are full of people that like to try and make you feel stupid for either not knowing what to do to fix the problem you have OR because you have bad punctuation etc etc this being said there are the occasional members that still blow me away with their knowledge and willingness to help out complete strangers. thanks for your reply :p

FWIW the view count is meaningless as has been told to me those are often robo searchers and not real people. In general it takes more than 45 minutes to get a response, especially depending on the time of day (I just finished my first cup of coffee).

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
FWIW the view count is meaningless as has been told to me those are often robo searchers and not real people. In general it takes more than 45 minutes to get a response, especially depending on the time of day (I just finished my first cup of coffee).

...and all the worlds questions were answered! :p

C

chas_m

Also, a good way to get those annoying people to stop hating on you for bad punctuation is to take the same care in composing your post in the first place as you would expect when someone is composing a concise, clear and accurate answer for your question. Just sayin'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
Well I don't know that proper grammer is a prerequisite for getting help here. At least I certainly hope the heck nOT :)

45 minutes is a little unreasonable. I haven't been here long but this forum is pretty busy and helpful from what I see. A pretty good resource. If you need help the next time I wouldn't be biting the hands that feed. Just a thought.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Are you kidding me? If I were the Admin I'll disable your account right away.

Indeed. Him and his sense of entitlement are out of here.

Reaction score
hey guys in need of help badly.
my brother came to stay with us (he lives out of town) he has been a long time mac user while i have really only just got my first mac anyways when he got here he said he would hep me install a lot of the programs he has and i would trade some of the ones i have (thats what brothers are for i guess) after an hour or so of loooong installation after installation and typing serial codes we were nearly done. i decided that i would shower while he finished up installing my copy of logic onto his macbook. after i returned i discovered that he had installed a pirated version of CS5 on to my imac (im VERY anti piracy) he claimed that if i had returned moments later i wouldnt of witnessed it and wouldnt of known any different and i was going a little ott.

Color, me crazy, but unless all you guys traded was FREEware, then it would appear that you aren't so much anti-piracy as you are anti-CAUGHT. I don't recall reading in most EULAs that having blood relations to someone who lives far away entitles me to share their serial #'s and purchased software (and typically if you're typing that many serial #'s, then it's probably an indication that at least some of the software is purchased). On a practical note, there's not much difference between installing software that has been illegally copied vs installing software that was purchased and licensed to someone else WHILE that original buyer is still in possession of the software.

Just my $.02

mathews_peace.gif

Reaction score
color, me crazy, but unless all you guys traded was freeware, then it would appear that you aren't so much anti-piracy as you are anti-caught. I don't recall reading in most eulas that having blood relations to someone who lives far away entitles me to share their serial #'s and purchased software (and typically if you're typing that many serial #'s, then it's probably an indication that at least some of the software is purchased). On a practical note, there's not much difference between installing software that has been illegally copied vs installing software that was purchased and licensed to someone else while that original buyer is still in possession of the software.

Just my $.02

mathews_peace.gif

agreed!!! 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.