I Took The Plunge

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06 I3, 16Gig Ram, OSX 10.6.8
I took the plunge yesterday and got my D800 on order with Camera World in Portland, OR. I figured since the price is the same everywhere I might as well support my local camera shop. When I pre-ordered my D7000 I cancelled it after waiting forever. The following weekend I stumbled upon one in a tiny Ritz camera shop locally. I asked almost jokingly if they had one and they asked "which one". They had one body & one kit. I was a blur whipping out my credit card to pay before I left with my friend. I was grinning from ear to ear.

I do have a Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D that is designed for FX cameras. I also ordered a Nikkor 28-300mm F/3.5-5.6 VRII which I'm sure will get here long before the body. Because I own a D7000 I have 3 batteries so that I'll have two identical spares for my two bodies. My other DX lenses, a Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 and a Nikkor 85mm F/2.8 Micro will still come in handy for specialty work. I know from experience that the new Nikkor 28-300mm will get used the most on the D800 body. I may need to get a custom L-Plate from Really Right Stuff for the D800. I have one for the D7000 and the tripod mount that could do double duty.

I know it's likely to be the end of March or early April before my new workhorse arrives. I still have good gear that will become a backup and keep me from getting too anxious.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's nice to have camera shops locally. Here in the Dallas - Fort Worth area it seems all the small camera shops have gone out of business or moved. The larger stores (Best Buy, etc) stock a wide variety of cameras but the sales people are clueless. ;P

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
We have a good local camera shop and I try to buy a significant amount of stuff from them (normally my goto would be Amazon or B&H for photography stuff).

Am in the process of saving up for a Tokina 11-16;they will have to order it in for me and will cost about $150 more (partly due to taxes) than buying off the web, but worth it to help keep their doors open.

OP
bobmielke
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06 I3, 16Gig Ram, OSX 10.6.8
We have a good local camera shop and I try to buy a significant amount of stuff from them (normally my goto would be Amazon or B&H for photography stuff).

Am in the process of saving up for a Tokina 11-16;they will have to order it in for me and will cost about $150 more (partly due to taxes) than buying off the web, but worth it to help keep their doors open.

This is one of the few major purchases I'm made with Camera World in Portland. I too usually buy most of my cameras through B&H Camera & Amazon. Buying through Amazon it normally means the actual gear is coming from B&H, Adorama or Calumet Camera, all reputable dealers. Amazon provided the Tokina 11-16mm which was supplied by Adorama for $699. For the high end gear both Amazon & B&H provide free shipping. Amazon falls off that deal at below $100 where everything is shipped free, with no sales tax from B&H. Oregon, where I live, has no sales tax. It's quite a savings when buying over the internet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.