Outlook for Mac v Mail and iCal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
I am new to mac. Running Lion. I am old Outlook user. I also use iPhone a great deal. My goal is to have my two e mail accounts and calendars pushed to my computer and to my iphone and fully synced. My preference would be to have calendar and e mail accessible in a single program - ie. Outlook - if it can be set up so that everything is syncked and pushed.

I have two e mail accounts. Work account is large government system that runs in Outlook. Currently I sync that to my iPhone as an exchange account. My Personal account is g mail. Currently I sync that as an exchange account in my iPhone. Both e mail accounts push my e mail to my iphone. Works very well.

I have two calendars. Work calendar is outlook just as e mail described above. Personal calendar is actually a calendar on my iphone. Both calendars are currently available on my iphone and sync. well. Works great on the iphone.

I have both email accounts and both calendars up and running well in "Mail" and iCal. Both are syncing and pushing. iPHone is syncing and pushing. All is well. However, I would be even happier if I could get all this working well in a single program so I don't have to switch back and forth between Mail and iCal. Also, there are somethings about "Mail" that I am not thrilled with (attachment handling for one).

So the question is this - can I set up Outlook for mac to accomplish my goal having in mind that I want my computer AND my iPhone to sync and push with my work and personal e mail accounts and calendars? If so, what specifically is the best way to do this?

OP
rpg51
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
I'll try to answer my own question. Looks to me so far that the answer is no. Gmail will sync up mail fine on iphone but apparantly not in outlook? Can't say I understand why - and it is possible what I am reading is out of date. So if anyone knows differently please let me know.

I wonder - is there a way to make this all work using icloud to make this happen?

This is the single biggest frustration I am having with my new mac conversion. I can't get my e mail accounts and calendars to work nearly has well as they did in windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
There is no CalDav support in Outlook, sucks big time. If you want to use one program Thunderbird will do it with lightning add in

OP
rpg51
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will Thunderbird and Lightning sync my work e mail and calender AND my iphone home calendar AND my home g mail (email only) in one place and receive pushed e mail etc?

Any reason not to move to Thunderbird? If not, I may give that a whirl.

OP
rpg51
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I have been experimenting and reading. The info I am getting - and my experience just now - is that Thunderbird WILL NOT sync with the government exchange account at work so that is NOT the answer so far as I can tell.

I have found no solution. Guess I'll stick with the native mac Mail and iCal. Bummer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.