sound buttons

Reaction score
Hello. My 3 volume control buttons stopped working and I would appreciate any advice how to restore them

C

chas_m

No idea what you're talking about here.

Start with info on your machine, then OS version, then the specific application you're talking about, then what you've tried.

OP
D
Reaction score
sound volume keys

Hi. Thanks. It's an OSX 10.5.8. The sound volume keys F10, F11, F12 have stopped working and if I push any of them my widow disappears. I really haven't done much of anything as I suspect I may have accidentally caused the problem, a few days ago when my
keyboard started to go dead. I ended up getting a new keyboard but everything else is fine but this problem. Of course I can adjust the sound with the volume control at the top right of my desktop but the 3 keys are more convenient. Hope this helps. Do let me know if you need more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 imac, 2011 13" mbp, Ipad mini, Ipad air
check your keyboard preferences

OP
D
Reaction score
volume keys problem

Hi. Thanks I went to keyboard preferences and unchecked the 3 boxes. It stopped the zooming window when I press the keys but didn't restore the volume

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27"12.2.1 Monterey.1phone 13, iwatch,ipad air
Keyboard difference

Hi. Thanks I went to keyboard preferences and unchecked the 3 boxes. It stopped the zooming window when I press the keys but didn't restore the volume

The last time I posted this on here, no one believed me.
Here I go again.........
The new keyboards do not work with OSX Leopard, they are only for Lion, fully functioning.
I took mine back, my mac store ordered me the older one from another store.
ONLY 1 person knew this at my store,and no one on here did when I posted as a question.

ALSO, they look identical!!!!!!!!!!!!

Until I upgrade to Lion, I will protect this keyboad with my life........LOLOL.:D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Actually the newer keyboards will work with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and later but not with Tiger or Leopard. So yes, the OP will need to return the keyboard and order an older one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27"12.2.1 Monterey.1phone 13, iwatch,ipad air
Actually the newer keyboards will work with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and later but not with Tiger or Leopard. So yes, the OP will need to return the keyboard and order an older one.

Thanks,I wasnt told that- just that they were set up for Lion.
Glad you know as many on here have asked the same question.
When I searched, there were no answers.

OP
D
Reaction score
keyboard volume keys

Hi. Thanks much for the information about the new keyboards. It's certainly an obscure piece of information that I certainly would not have figured out. Actually the Mac store gave me the new keyboard to replace my old one whose keys all died. I asked for one without a calculator as I never use it but he said they have to give me one exactly like my old one. As it turns out it is certainly not exactly like it and I know I will have to do some serious begging to get an "old" model..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm rather surprised the sales person at the Apple store didn't ask which version of OS X you were running before swapping out the keyboard. The new keyboards are clearly marked on the Apple web site as being compatible only with OS X 10.6.8 and later.

OP
D
Reaction score
keyboard volume keys

Hi. Actually the guy in the Mac store took the keyboard out of the box and just handed it to me. I had no idea it wouldn't be compatible and he never asked about my Mac. I think since I got the keyboard free I'll just get Lion as it seems the easiest thing to do and I kind of wanted it anyway:Cool:. Again, thanks much for your help. Best

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.