Understanding iMac system??

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm not very tech savvy, but I'm really trying to understand my computer so that I can manage it properly. Something strange just happened and I really, really need advice, because I am panicking.

I wasn't doing anything special on my computer, I was just looking at furniture on IKEA's website, and all of a sudden the sound of a woman humming came through on my speakers and I heard clicking noises that sounded a bit like a mouse. After about 5-8 seconds, it stopped. I looked on the page for the possibility of an ad, but nothing was on the page. So that's when I proceeded to freak out.

I went into my Connections section and I have a lot of mDNSResponder's. Fourteen to be exact. Only three of them provide an actual local IP address, but they only show a bunch of zeros.. the rest are blank. What is mDNSResponder? How many should I have? And if it should not be there, how do I get rid of it?

I am a bit terrified now that someone is spying on me or something.

C

chas_m

No, nobody is spying on you.

Can you clarify what you mean by "Connections section"? I don't know what that is.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's possible. I have run across a number of pages that start audio or video files playing when you enter a site. Usually it has been an ad for something or product video but it could just as easily be any other audio/video.

Reaction score
I went into my Connections section and I have a lot of mDNSResponder's. Fourteen to be exact. Only three of them provide an actual local IP address, but they only show a bunch of zeros.. the rest are blank. What is mDNSResponder? How many should I have? And if it should not be there, how do I get rid of it?

This is the reason for my answer. Never said it had anything to do with the sounds.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.