• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Magazine best choice for MacBook Pro user?

R

RonH

This is just my 2nd post. I am waiting for the newest MacBook Pro with a solid state hard drive to become available and will purchase it ASAP. How would you rate/prioritize the following magazines as being most helpful to someone switching from PC to MacBook Pro? MacWorld, MacLife, MacFormat and MacUser? If there are other magazines a newby should consider, please list them. I am not opposed to subscribing to more than 1 magazine as long as they will help this soon-to-be Mac newby. Thanks to everyone in advance!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I subscribe to MacWorld

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1 for MacWorld as the best. I also subscribe to MacLife primarily because their subscription also includes the digital version which you can download.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I find MacWorld to bit a bit lacking in the content department - particularly in "how tos" and editorial content. It seems like it gets a little thinner every month, with more ads interspersed within it. I switched over to MacLife, and although it's not great, I do find that I read it more thoroughly than MacWorld.

OP
R

RonH

Thanks to all of you responding to my question about best magazine. I really appreciate it folks!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
MacFormat is decent as a beginner guide. But as soon as I learned what I needed to I found the content to be somewhat repetitive. Some of the apps they recommended were "swayed" by advertisement revenue. (CleanMyMac being a main one.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
Try MacWorld Daily reader if you have an iPad or an iPhone. It will give you some idea of how their articles are written.

Personally that's who I subscribe to.

Reaction score
I'm surprised mags like this can still survive given the digital age.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm surprised mags like this can still survive given the digital age.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather hold a $3 magazine while I'm using the bathroom than a $500 iPad.

I think that's explanation enough right there ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
To be honest with you, when I switched to a Mac in my sophmore year of HS (4 years ago), it just seemed natural. I was using them at school for my Mass Media and Media Internships class and as soon as i figured out how to search for things on the Mac and how to use the settings (just took some exploring), I haven't needed much help from switching over from Windows. It just seemed natural to me. I'm sure it doesn't come to everyone like that. I just wouldn't buy it until you get a chance to look around for yourself. Curiosity is the best teacher.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.